What to grow in my garden for Silkies?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by ebenavides5, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ebenavides5

ebenavides5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Hello,

Like the title says, I want to look for What to plant in my garden that is the most efficient (as far as productivity to feed to my silkies)?

It is the winter but I live in extreme south texas so cold is no problem at all, in fact highs usually are in 70 and 80 hitting 90 commonly.

I have about 150 sq feet of space in my garden that is not being used at the moment.

Oh and by the way I have 20 2 month old silkies (not keeping all when they are older) and I do feed them store bought feed (ranging from 20 to 24 percent protein) but this garden stuff could be to supplement or as treats

thanks

2. ebenavides5

Oct 13, 2011
    *70's and 80's hitting 90

(EDIT)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I lived in an area with mild winters and extremely hot summers. We grew lots of spinach for our chickens, year round. Kale is also good and you can get some really pretty varieties. Comfrey is a great perennial that will die back in Winter and come back in Spring.
    In Winter you can grow anything from the brassica family, cabbage is nice and will keep them busy for awhile. Cauliflower and broccoli worked well for us since we like eating it and after you harvested it you can give the remainder of the plant to your chickens. Same with peas, after harvest you can give them the plants.
    In Summer you can grow some corn to feed to them on the cob, or if you have time you can process it and grind it up for them. We grew Inca corn for our chickens and was amazed at the quantity we got from our smallish garden. Millet is easy to grow and they'll have fun picking the seeds if you hang the heads up in their run. And sunflowers! They are pretty and cheerful and the seeds are very good for chickens. Other veg and edible plants you can grow for both of you to enjoy is pumpkin, squash and tomatoes.

4. ebenavides5

Oct 13, 2011
    thanks so much for the ideas

5. Chicken person

Chicken person Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    Lake Charles, La.
    Has anybody heard of rye grass to grow during the winter. Is this okay for them to have.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Some seed and poultry catalogs sell mixes for chickens.Look them up to see what you can do on your own.I always toss out oats,rye,wheat,and alfalfa.Just toss it all over the yard and let it grow.Ofcourse the lettuce bed is a goldmine for the hensThey LOVE sneaking into it!

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My chickens love sun flower seeds so I would plant some nice sunflowers that could provide some shade and cover as well as some food. My birds also liked turnips and carrots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by