What to keep, white or blue araucana cockerel

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by key west chick, Jul 17, 2008.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I got some nice araucana chicks, about 8 weeks old now. I'm gonna keep 2 cockerels and give away/sell the others. I've decided on keeping a black, rumpless, uni tufted. I also have a blue rumpless, clean headed and a white rumpless clean headed. I'm not a big fan of white, they remind me too much of broilers. I do like the blues. Planning ahead, if I keep the white and breed it to blue pullets and black pullets what will I get? If I keep the blue and breed it to white pullets and black pullets what will I get? I will also keep a white pullet if I ever wanted to breed back to a white. Will the chicks be any more colorful if I keep one cockerel over the other?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I believe if you breed the blue to black you will get blues, blacks and splashes. Not sure on the white... it will just depend on what recessive genes everyone is carrying.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Blue to black will not produce any splash.

black x blue = 50% black, 50% blue
    blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
    blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
    black x splash = 100% blue
    splash x splash = 100% splash

With the white, it would depend on whether you have dominant or recessive white.

I'd suggest keeping your blue/black/splash birds seperate from your whites.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Sorry...my bad [​IMG] I was too lazy to go double check that post with all the info [​IMG] Eventually I will get all of this stuff committed to memory [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by