1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to look for when buying a hen to be a broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sweeterdeeter42, Mar 30, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I am wanting to buy a broody hen this weekend at a swap so that she will hatched eggs that arent necessarily purebred, but are "fun." What should I look for when picking one out? Are certain breeds better broodys than others? I know it says on the BYC list of breeds, but I want personal opinions. [​IMG] THANKS!

2. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
    Well, I'm by far no chicken expert but I do read alot! In my reading it seems to me that silkies are the best brooders. Many people have said that they are literally walking incubators. I have also read recently that they sometimes will even multi-sit, where more than one will sit on a set of eggs.[​IMG] But I wouldn't take my opinion for it, like I said I'm no expert.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    From an article about broodies:

But one can establish a sub-flock of reliable working broodies, based on historic breeds much in need of preservation, to do all one’s hatching and brooding chores. (In addition to Old English Games, consider Kraienkoppes, Malays, Shamos, Asils, Madagascar Games, Silkies, and some strains of Dorking.)

Here is the article:
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html
    My best broodies and mamas were Kraienkoppes.​

4. Smittenroade

Smittenroade Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    North East Texas
  5. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    Yes my silkie's are great sitters. I have 2 sharing a nest right now and 3 on their own. If they all hatch I will have silkies comeing out everywhere lol

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Silkies or any of the Game varieties, also Cochins

7. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    My silkie loves to babysit the cochins eggs when she gets off the nest to relieve herself [​IMG]. I've been thinking about giving her some eggs to set on just to indulge her.

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    What to look for when buying a hen to be a broody? A chicken with black skin, five toes, preferably from China. ( You can buy locally though ) [​IMG]

9. clarmayfarm

clarmayfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Silky or a cochin...I like the cochins because the LF can sit on a lot of eggs. They are such good mamas, too. You can take a broody cochin and move her nest and she will just blink her eyes and settle in. They are almost ZEN HENS.

Foster

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I accidentally found out that if you line the nest box with straw, you can then pick up broody, nest (independent of the container it's in), and all in one grab and move them wherever. My BO got moved twice and growled at me a bit but never left the nest lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by