what to look for?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jstrmn, Nov 17, 2014.

1. jstrmn

jstrmn New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Central Texas
    still very new to the chicken thing and I added a few new hens to flock a week or so ago, one of the chicks was not as scared as they usually are when I went to let them out into their run. Looked like she was gasping for air or something. All of the other hens seemed and acted fine. The sick one didnt make it the rest of the day after my lunch break to make it home and check on her again. Ideas of cause? and any certain things I need to look for in the rest of the flock?

2. ChickyGirl12

ChickyGirl12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    Put some garlic in their water, about a half a teaspoon for every gallon. It builds their immune system.

1 person likes this.
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know how old they are. It had to be some respiratory ailment, but I don't know which one. I would watch the others carefully .
    I would also be very careful about adding chicks or chickens to a flock because even with a quarantine, the new ones may infect everyone if they have something.

1 person likes this.
  4. jstrmn

jstrmn New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Central Texas
    will try garlic with rest if them. thanks. any other tips would be appreciated. and to my knowledge they are about 3, maybe 4 months now.

5. jstrmn

jstrmn New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Central Texas
    thanks..any info is appreciated. and to my knowledge the chick was about 4 months old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by