What to pay a 10 year old chicken/duck sitter in West Michigan?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherMo, Jul 19, 2019.

1. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    We want to do family camping over a long weekend. Not easy when you have birds who need you. I think I found a sitter right across the street. Farm country here. Great opportunity to introduce myself to the neighbors (we’ve been here 3 years!). They have farm animals and I asked if their 5th grade daughter might want the job on the occasion when we get out of town, they said, yes! Coming over tomorrow so I can show them around the coop and run. What would you pay a 10 year old per day to open and shut the chicken coop, refill water and food as needed, plus 2 ducks that need their kiddie pool dumped and refilled every day or so? I was thinking $5-10 a day since shes right across the street and the work probably will take less than 20 minutes a day. Thoughts?

2. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    $5 sounds best. I would take that for the max.
    When I was a kid I got paid $3 a day for dogsitting 3 dogs over 2 blocks away and I spent most of my day there. Not to mention I dogsat for 1 month and they STILL didn't even raise the prices a bit at all!
    But i was thankful because i love dogs. And if you're wondering HOW long ago was it was not that far away, like, at all. Not even a decade :p

HeatherMo likes this.
  3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I would do the $10 a day. My sitter is an adult or her children but I pay $10 a visit, so $20 a day for letting them in and out and changing water. If your neighbor girl does a good job and you want her to do it again, you will be glad you paid the higher amount.

4. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I agree $10 is fair.

5. bluemerle

bluemerle Songster

Aug 11, 2018
    Northern Nevada
    Think about it per hour: if the work takes <30 minutes to do (someone who is not used to the routine might take longer) and she has to visit twice, then that's an hour of work. If you pay her $5 a day, you're paying $5/hr.

It gets more complicated if letting them out takes a short amount of time and putting them up takes a longer amount of time .... but generally I'd agree with @cheezenkwackers : paying a little more is worth it if she does a good job.

6. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    Not trying to date myself here but I was given $3/hour for babysitting well over 2 decades ago. I have 2 kids now, ages 11 and 7, and we rarely go anywhere so I rarely need a babysitter, but I never know what’s fair. I’m not a wealthy person, but I don’t want to be that cheap ass who gave me $10 in the early 90’s for babysitting their spoiled disrespectful kids for 4 hours either. Not long ago I hired a teenager to watch my kids (2) for about 4-5 hours while I was at a wedding. She took a friend. I think I handed over well $50 which seems generous to me. Later I was very embarrassed to find out that her mother (a friend of mine) matched my payment because I was being cheap (I guess?) She was 15 without much experience, and I was fine with the friend but it wasn’t really necessary for 2 kids). Kids these days just expect more and I never feel like I have a good idea of what is normal pay for these things.

7. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I would go with the $10 a day. :)

sourland and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. ezeo

ezeo Chirping

Apr 18, 2018
    are you letting her keep the eggs? Factor that into the payment too. a dozen eggs + $5 is not bad for 20 minutes of work.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    if its 3 days she has to check then give her her 50$

quackiemama likes this.
  10. ocap

ocap Crowing

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    Ask her, so she is content with the salary, tip if the waterers are full when you return

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: