What to pay for Pullets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewHopePoultry, Dec 30, 2010.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I found:
    Americana pullets(EE's),Buff Orphington pullets, and Buff Brahma pullets for $15 each
    and Black Sex link and cinnamin queens for $10 each.
    Are those good prices? I havnt bought pullets, so I have no idea what they go for

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Great prices!!

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    a little high for this area. are they real Americana or easter eggers ?

4. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Im not sure if they are Easter Eggers or not.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Thought those were the same. Thought it was Ameraucana that were pure breds. ?????? Honestly I don't know

6. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    In the past I've paid $12 - $15. Depends on why you want them. If they are laying, I'd definitely pay it, unless they are old and spent (then those wouldn't be pullets, of course).

EE's are derived from a chicken blue-egg gene. They can lay a rainbow of colored eggs and come in a rainbow a feather colors.

Ameraucanas come in certain colors only and must meet a standard (see www.ameraucana.org). Ams have slate colored legs and lay blue eggs only. Pictures on this site will help you determine if yours are EE or true Ams.

Just be sure to check them over before you buy. Seems silly, but smell them, especially around the beak...if they stink it can indicate infection/illness. Check under their wings and at the vent for mites & lice. If you aren't sure what to look for, just google it. The breast should feel plump, not bony, and feathers should be fluffy & clean. Leg scales should be smooth, not raised and/or bumpy. Eyes and beak should be drainage-free. Combs should be bright red.

I'm sure you already know all of this, but I just like to help! [​IMG]

Have fun & happy new year!

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    where I am culled hens who are at POL I sell for 15$ breeder pullets more depending on breed

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Same here [​IMG]

9. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Im looking to buy a few pullets to get eggs from.

10. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Quote:That's what I figured you wanted them for. All of those are good layers, and those are good prices to pay for layers as long as they are healthy.

Sonew is right...breeder quality to show quality stock would bring much more for each bird.

Funny, I tried to sell a Polish hen once & the woman I was talking to on he phone balked at my price of $12...said, "I don't know if I want to pay THAT much for a chicken." For real! Made me think she didn't know much about chickens. It would have to be a pit-i-ful mutt that rarely laid to bring a single digit price after about 5 months of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by