What to plant in duck pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ashbash325, May 16, 2016.

1. ashbash325

ashbash325 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    My boyfriend and I have 7 ducks 4-6 weeks old I think (I stopped counting) the pen they live in during the day has some trees and grass but a lot of dirt. What is some plants I can grow in there that's safe & healthy for my Khaki Cambells. I'm going to buy seeds online so anything can be recommended as long as the ducks will enjoy it. Because the area is kinda in the woods next to our house it doesn't get a lot of sun due to the surrounding trees. I live in Maryland so we have hot summers and cold winters, we are willing to replant next year if necessary.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Do you mean plants for them to eat, or plants for them to play in and enjoy? Because in my experience, they will basically decimate anything in their reach, lol. I have one huge shrub that they haven't killed yet, but that's only because they can only reach the lower branches. Anything less than 2-3 feet tall that I've put in there has been gone in a matter of days. Out in my yard the damage usually isn't as bad, unless they find the lettuce in my garden, haha.

3. ashbash325

ashbash325 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016

Their pen is pretty big but it's just dirt and I wanted something else in there. I'm probably gonna plant some type of grass but I just wanted other plant ideas too

4. jennifleur

jennifleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Temecula
    I would recommend bying seed in bulk. Eden brothers online or the dirty gardener are good ones. Try to remember that a small amount of plants wont last long. You almost have to overwhelm them with sheer numbers. With 7 its doable in a large pen. Seeds is practically the only cost sensible option.

Diacondra
    Collard greens
    Chard
    Mustard greens
    Zuchinni
    Squash
    Arugula
    Sunflower
    Purslane
    Water cress
    Eqyptian spinach
    Nasturtium
    Johnny Jump ups
    Zinnia
    Marigold
    Chicory
    Borage
    Dianthus
    Dill
    Cilantro
    Parsley

Cover crops like mini clover or oats would be worth looking into.

At least with ducks you have lots of water and manure going for you.

Things to consider planting for them. Outside the pen

Gogi berries- they looove them.
    Blue berries
    Thornless black, boysen, raspberry, and marion berries. They like the leaves as well.
    Water melon
    Cucumbers
    Squash
    Zucchini
    Corn
    Roma tomatos- large amount of fruit
    Beets- leaves a favorite
    Peas
    Lettuce- With ducks, its really a good idea to grow some greens, they are so costly in the store. Quick and easy to grow.

1 person likes this.
  5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If you plant seed directly, the ducks are going to decapitate anything that sprouts. You are going to want to protect seedlings until, well, a while LOL

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with both posts above - my ducks like kiwi leaves, dandelion, comfrey, goldenrod, chickweed, and several others. But those we have in their extended garden area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by