What to Plant in Field for Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ellie, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    What would you suggest that I plant in a field I let the chickens graze on? It is now weeds as it has been since time began I suppose.

Anyway, I would like something that I can mow (I hate snakes) like grass, but grass is finicky and chickens like other things... something that would look nice and yet feed them.

What do y'all think? I planted some "chicken forage" mix in places but that would be far too expensive for this area.

Thanks,
    Ellie

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    you could try to get a pasture mix from the local feed store, this is a good mix for most pasture animals, and you can mow it. The chickens will pick and choose what they want to eat, they also love all the bugs that live in the grasses. And by the way, i have seen large chickens catch and eat snakes.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    chickens like clover [​IMG]

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Mine love dandelion and there are always plenty of those free to seed around [​IMG]

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Millet, amaranth, clover, wheat, oats...even if you decided not to mow they would self seed and you'd have them for years [​IMG]

6. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a lot of Nasturtium that grows naturally where I live. Chickie seems to enjoy pecking at the big leaves.

7. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Nasturtium are edible in human food too [​IMG]

8. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I will check on the pasture mix. Great idea, it should grow in my area which is great. (think hot and dry) [​IMG]

Hooligan, do these things, Millet, amaranth, clover, wheat, oats come in a mix.. or did you mean pick one?

Sorry for the ignorance, I had no idea I would become a "farmer" with these chickens. [​IMG]

Ellie

9. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, so I feel quite comfortable letting her peck at them. Does anyone know of plants we should keep chickens away from because they can harm them?

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Oats, field peas and rye grain. It will keep them entertained all year hunting for seeds and gleanings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by