1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to plant in my garden for the chickens to eat- wiring off so the can't dig it out

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by margh, Feb 22, 2013.

1. margh

margh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Hi all. I am setting up my garden for our chickens we are getting in two weeks. Very eggcited (sorry)! I have heard they love comfrey but what else do you think i could I plant? I intend to put a wire lid type contraption over the garden so they can eat the top without digging it all out and destroying it all... Well that's the plan. I have tried to attach the pic.

Any ideas of what I could plant for my girls. I am getting day olds so the garden will have time to establish while the are growing.

[​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Clover is a good one. We are going to seed our whole yard area with it...it's more nutritious than grass for the animals, and it is hardier than grass, so probably has a better chance of growing in our rocky, yet ill draining soil...Lol.

3. margh

margh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Great! Thanks, we have heaps of clover we can use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by