What to plant in my run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mlongworth, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mlongworth

mlongworth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    In the process of building coop and run. I am making a border garden along the inside of my run covered with wire. I figured it would look better than all dirt eventually and give the girls fresh greens everyday. Hopefully the wire does its job and lets them eat what grows out of it without killing the whole plant. I plan to plant chard, lettuce, peas, strawberry, purslane, chickweed, parsley and there is a raspberry in the pen im thinking of leaving. What are some other things that would be good to plant for them? Veggies, herbs, flowers anything you can think of. Thanks.

2. BooksAreNerdy

BooksAreNerdy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    This sounds like a really nice idea! Are you just going to put a chicken wire hoop over the plants? I will be interested in hearing how this works out!

3. PostgeStampFarm

PostgeStampFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Cedar Grove NJ
    We are also planting veggies around the outside of the chicken yard...our goal is to limit the access from the hens, but rather plant stuff they like and while harvesting, I will toss some over the fence for a treat.

4. mlongworth

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    I allready toss them stuff from the garden so I figured this way they could pick what they wanted. I plan to use chicken wire on top. I will update later and let you know how it works.

5. rockinro

rockinro Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    What a COOL idea! I was planning to do this same thing...like an inside garden covered with wire that they could only eat what grows on the outside of it. If you have any pictures, I would love to see your idea of what you're thinking of.

6. radishgirl

radishgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Placerville, CA
    purslane seems hardy enough to come back on its own.
    our birds seem to pick at our kale but leave enough to not kill it.

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I'm planning on seeding a large area of Rye grass this spring for my 6 breeder pens. My runs are about 150 sq feet and I am planning on having an 6x10 or 8x8 place that has 2x4s with wire on top for them to only eat the tips of the grass. They should fertilize it as well. I also give my breeders non salable veggies from the garden. We grow tomatoes, potatoes, peas, green beans, carrots, lettuce, okra, and a few types of melons. Then the 100 hens or so free range the rest of the place!

Nate

8. mlongworth

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    Havent started building yet but I will post pics when we do. Found some really tiny melons in my baker creek catalog maybe I can figure out a way to fit them in a corner or something.

9. BooksAreNerdy

BooksAreNerdy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    NE Kansas
    I wonder if you could so hanging baskets with a vine (beans?) type vegetable. The chickens could only reach the vines that hang low and leave the rest of the plant alone? Or, they pull the baskets down. Or, the roost in the baskets... Not sure WHAT would happen! :)

10. mlongworth

Dec 11, 2012
    indiana
    Thats an idea might have to try it after i get this one figured out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by