what to plant in the garden for the ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by country_girl011, Dec 10, 2011.

1. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    we plant a garden every year.
    and im working on a list for what im going to plant for the ducks & (geese that i will soon be gettin)
    my ducks love bell peppers, the green ones? so im going to plant some of those,
    lettuce,
    peas,
    we always plant tomatos.
    they hate zucini.
    & cucumber.

so what do you guys plant for your ducks?
    or what do they like that is easy-ish, in a garden.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Mine love spinach and can't get enough of cut up carrots.

3. country_girl011

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    Quote:lol carrots are out, they babies look at me like im trying to poisen them if those are in their snack.
    and i herd spinach was bad for them

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I've heard potatoes and squash are good. We only grew mesclun, kale, and chard for the ducks last summer. They turned their beaks up at the kale and chard. The love cabbage, so although I have never grown it, it is on the list for next summer. The tomatoes, peppers, peas are reserved for humans if we can successfully grow them. With weather that has not been an option the last two summers.

5. country_girl011

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    peppers and peas are their addictions.
    they love them.
    [​IMG]
    kale is on my list.

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My ducks get the potatoes that don't grow into beauties, squash, pumpkin, peas that aren't pretty - they even like the pea greens -green beans, all the bits that get brownish spots of lettuce, chard, kale... and on & on. They get all the weeds / veggies I "thin to stand", etc.

This year I also plan to plant some: sunflowers, comfrey, lavender, sage, A LOT more potatoes, A LOT more peas, sorrel, probably some oats and rye, flax, and grasses for bedding.
    I am looking into more to add to this list, I want to grow as much as we can here to take the pressure off my gas budget.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:lol carrots are out, they babies look at me like im trying to poisen them if those are in their snack.
    and i herd spinach was bad for them

Spinach has to be given in proportion. When done correctly there is no reason to worry. Also you might want to consider a variety of herbs

8. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Mine really liked sweet potato greens and malabar spinach if it was floated in their water dish. Nice thing about both of those is that they grow like crazy in hot weather and will just start ramping up production as spinach and some other cool season crops start to fade. They also liked pea greens, but that should pretty much go without saying around here I would think.

Aren't regular potato greens bad for ducks? Since it's in the same family as tomatoes and such?

9. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Strawberries. I have to fence mine off better this year. The ducks loved them....

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You don't say what garden zone you are in.

I grow snow peas and the ducks eat the whole plant. They adore collard greens. The geese love melon, but it has to be chopped up for the ducks. They love corn plants.

Chard was not a hit. They like lettuce, but it lacks in nutrition.

I also grow pasture grass for them so they can graze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by