What to plant to shade my run, any suggestions?

Silverduck

Crowing
16 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Walker County, Alabama
My chickens have some shade, but it is so hot in Alabama, I was thinking of planting something safe that would spread over the wire to make more shade for them. Can anyone think of anything that would grow quickly and be safe in case they nibble on it?

Honeysuckle or trumpet vine? Only problem with trumpet vine is once you plant it, it's there forever and might be difficult to get rid of. Passion vine? Clematis?

If you want something that grows QUICK and spreads massively with huge leaves for maximum shade, then I highly recommend a KIWI...
of everything I have it is the most suitable for what you are wanting (shade) and there are self pollinating hybrids if you want fruit. Watch out...two plants will be more than sufficient!

Last edited:
Pole beans are the first thing that comes to my mind... but I am going to try Malabar. I will try to let you know how that works out. ~:>

hops vine is quite good. it grows like crazy (you can actually see it growing on warm days) and has huge leaves for a nice dappled shade. it's also interesting to look at and has a beery smell.
smile.png

Hummingbird Vine (cypress vine) grows super fast, reseeds itself and the hummingbirds love it!

You can find packets of seeds where other seeds are sold.

plant some good ole green beans. They have a big leaf and spread well too. cucumber plants also work well. and cheap.

Good Luck

Nick

Back
Top Bottom