1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to plant to shade my run, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Silverduck, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Silverduck

Silverduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Walker County, Alabama
    My chickens have some shade, but it is so hot in Alabama, I was thinking of planting something safe that would spread over the wire to make more shade for them. Can anyone think of anything that would grow quickly and be safe in case they nibble on it?

2. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    Potato vines grow like crazy!

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    how about tomatos?

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Honeysuckle or trumpet vine? Only problem with trumpet vine is once you plant it, it's there forever and might be difficult to get rid of. Passion vine? Clematis?

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    If you want something that grows QUICK and spreads massively with huge leaves for maximum shade, then I highly recommend a KIWI...
    of everything I have it is the most suitable for what you are wanting (shade) and there are self pollinating hybrids if you want fruit. Watch out...two plants will be more than sufficient!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  6. chickenclarence

chickenclarence New Egg

Mar 18, 2007
    Pole beans are the first thing that comes to my mind... but I am going to try Malabar. I will try to let you know how that works out. ~:>

7. Silverduck

Silverduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Walker County, Alabama
    Where would you purchase the KIWI? Does it come as a plant or seed to plant? I haven't seen one in Alabama. Thanks, Sandy

8. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    hops vine is quite good. it grows like crazy (you can actually see it growing on warm days) and has huge leaves for a nice dappled shade. it's also interesting to look at and has a beery smell. [​IMG]

9. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Hummingbird Vine (cypress vine) grows super fast, reseeds itself and the hummingbirds love it!

You can find packets of seeds where other seeds are sold.

10. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    plant some good ole green beans. They have a big leaf and spread well too. cucumber plants also work well. and cheap.

Good Luck

Nick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by