What to plant?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Ricker, Jun 21, 2017.

1. The Ricker

The Ricker Chirping

Jan 11, 2015
    Charleston
    I am currently building a new fence for my hens. What can I plant on the fence line that is safe for the hens to eat?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    As long as they can not get close to the center---several things will grow----regular corn, collards, just all kinds of greens, grasses, etc----problem being they only get to eat one side. I prefer to plant collards in the garden, etc and break off some leaves to carry to them as well as rabbits if you got them. I plant A lot Of Collards.

3. gibsosyd

gibsosyd In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2017
    Arkansas
    My hen loves my red Russian kale. It gets huge too. I also have marigolds because they're a good antioxidant and make egg yolks bright orange as a bonus. Also herbs such as parsley, dill, sage, oregano, thyme, bee balm, lavender and mint. The some of those herbs can be put in the nesting box and act as aromatherapy for a laying hen. Hope this helps!:)

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I would plant a mixture of mints/oregano, garlic for their insect repellent properties. Plant some mixed greens, cucumbers, peas, zucchini for them to eat. How big is the fence? do you want vines to climb the fence, or just plant a border in front of it? Generally, anything I have in close proximity to the chicken fence, I will not eat, unless it is a veggie that gets cooked first. If you are looking for beauty, try marigolds, nasturtium, calendula, day lilies. Any thing you plant there will look pretty shabby very quickly, at least what they can reach. My flock are taking great pleasure out of pruning any pea vines that happen to grow through the garden fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: