What to put in nesting boxes??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dustys Mom, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Dustys Mom

Dustys Mom New Egg

Aug 26, 2007
    Keep in mind, I am a horsey person ... and know very little about chickens!!

We brought the chickens home a few days ago. The coop is bedded with shavings, fairly thickly to provide warmth.

We are just putting the nesting boxes in today and were wondering what is best to bed the boxes with: shavings or straw?! Does it make a difference as to laying?? So far, they haven't layed any eggs in the coop/shavings bedding - we keep checking! - but I think that has more to do, with the idea that they prefer to lay in the boxes.

Thanks,

-- Dustys Sister
    Aka, Dustys' Moms daughter [​IMG]

2. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    we use straw

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    mine like the hey better i have used shavings but the layed there eggs on the floor where the hay was

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Use straw. It's easier to clean out, takes less to line the box effectively and if you have brown eggs layers that lay speckled eggs it protects the brown spots on the eggs from smearing.

5. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I just scoop up the loose hay from the horse-hay barn. Works great.

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I use shavings mine didn't want to use the boxes with straw in it. Give yours a choice and lst them choose. I also tried shreded paper and they wanted nothing to do with that either. Mind you if I gave them no other choice they would prpbably use the straw.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  7. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    We use straw.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Tried straw, they wouldn't use it.
    My girls like shavings.

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:If Rooster Red says so it must be RIGHT(not only that it was my choice too) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    We use straw, but hubby and I are comtemplating what to put under the straw. The hens make their little round nests out of them and then some of them drop the egg from a distance and then they crack. Hubby had thought about some of those cheap rugs made from remenent pieces or even that foam cabinet and drawer liners. We haven't decided yet because we don't want to put something in there that they are going to try to peck and eat. We would hate the thought that we killed one of our chickens due to ignorance or poor forethought.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by