What to put on a pecked quail wound?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LivingRootsFarm, Jul 6, 2011.

1. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    One male was really rough with a female trying to mate. Now she has a wound on her head area. Should I put something on it? If so any recommendations? Or should I keep an eye on it and let it heal naturally? I also seperated the male from all the hens so he doesn't do anymore damage. Thanks for any help!

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I like to put blue-kote on the wound,its used to stop any infection that might start.You can usually buy it at a feed store or online.

3. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    i would separate her until she heals

4. CherokeeTradition

CherokeeTradition Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Hmm well, I have used triple antibiotic ointment smeared in a good thick coat over the area. Originally saved a laying hen that was just attacked by a dog by packing the wound with it, & just last week I treated a male coturnix with it that'd gotten into a scrap. Just what works fo me, & I always make sure it is out of beak-range.

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Blue kote is good stuff, just becareful around eyes... Bill

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:It works well, but its an awful mess to work with. I still have a purple stain on top of my freezer where the bottle leaked through a cardboard box. Won't do that again. It does NOT come off!

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:It works well, but its an awful mess to work with. I still have a purple stain on top of my freezer where the bottle leaked through a cardboard box. Won't do that again. It does NOT come off!

I got to agree with ya here... I recently took the bottle outside to the pen to Dr a bird. Knew better than do it in the house.... anyway, I wrapped the wounded warrior in a tea towel to restrain her, carefully dabbed her leg, set the dauber back in the bottle. This is when chose to freak out, just as was taking her out of the towel. Started kick'n and flapp'n like I was sqeeze'n her to death. I mean that stuff went everywhere. My white breeder pen, my standard gray tee shirt, my face, arms and hands... she even had it on HER forehead. I dont know how she spread such a tiny little dab of blue coat around so much!! And you know that crap just dont come off... But her wound and my pride both healed well. Thou I did take a healthy dose of ribbing at work the next few days. You can only scrub your face and neck so much before the hide starts coming off!!! Bill

8. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    Thanks everyone for the replies! It is most appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by