What to put on bloody neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TN Henny Penny, Sep 22, 2011.

1. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    We have a batch of 4 week old chicks, a mix of several breeds (white rock, barred rock, SLW, buff minorca, black austrolorp and auracana). Many of them have lost their soft down around their neck at this stage. This morning, I found one of the White Rocks with a nasty looking neck. Almost all the feathers are gone on one side of her neck and it's all red, but I can't see open wounds. She seems to be doing o.k. - lively, anyway! I have removed her from the other chicks, but I have no clue what to put on her neck. I read something about Blu-Kote (sp?). Does she need something to disguise her neck until the red is gone? (I've heard that red attracts pecking) How long should I let her try to recover before mixing her back in with the other chicks?

Thank you!
    Linda

2. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    OK - I kept searching the site and found the link below to be helpful for information for possible ointments. After cleaning the little thing up a bit, I did find an open wound about 1/4 " in diameter, but it doesn't look too deep. The wound is on the back of her neck, so she in no way can get to it.

So now, my new question is - can the wound heal o.k. without being bandaged?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6580204#p6580204

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by