what to put on chicken coop floor

chick_magnet

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
I built a coop two years ago and it's in shape still. I probably now is what do i put on the floor of the coop? the coop is off the ground and is about 5'x9'. in the past i always used grass that I mowed but i haven't have in glass this year. What is the best things to put on the coop's floor. Also in the past the chickens eat the grass the i put in there. Anyone knows if it is bad for them if they do that? I have no chemical on my lawn.

Thanks

Whoops!!!!!! I meant pine chips, I do not reccomend using cedar chips as their aromas and oils can cause respiratory infection

I use linoleum in my coop along with poop boards. My run is sand with a lite layer of pinestraw to make it interesting to find the BOSS. I use grass in my nest boxes and yes they do eat it. I find this a good thing when they are nesting because I don't have to worry about them not eating

Oops... I put cedar chips in ours. .. works so good. . Didn't know could cause respiratory issues. I put it in a week ago so ill wait a week and change it out

I have tried wood chip and they just scratched that right out in a couple of days, any suggestions.....

For any type of bedding to stay inside the coop you simply need to design the coop to hold it in - example, the most common place bedding is lost is through the pop(chicken) door. Most of the time, this is a simple design issue caused by cutting the door to floor level. Either cutting the door 4(ish) inches off the floor or placing a board to create a "lip" for doors already cut too low creates a barrier to prevent the bedding loss through scratching.

x2 I had the same issue. Doing exactly what Ole Grey Mare suggested made a difference. I don't mind the litter from the coop being dragged or scratched from the coop into the run, since they are both on bare soil with deep litter over that. But it was a PITA to keep the litter from ending up on the yard from the people door. So we put a piece of wood there to hold it in, making the doorway a little higher than it was originally. Um, however, I should point out that it took me tripping about 5 times to finally remember that it was there and to pick my feet up higher when I gathered eggs. <sigh>

Back
Top Bottom