what to put over my pine floor in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pet pal, May 13, 2011.

1. pet pal

pet pal Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    I put down a pine floor in my coop so nothing could get in! What do you think would be the best to put down? Best for ( clean up) Best for chickens Please advise me:)

2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    a lg sheet of laminate, or sand.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    All kinds of choices! I used a top quality silver tarp and tacked it down. It was cheaper than linoleum but so far is holding up very well. Very easy to sweep up, and the chicken feces don't stick to it very well. When the time comes I can remove the tacks, roll up the tarp, and replace it.

A nice coating of pine shavings and nobody knows the tarp is there but the chickens.

[​IMG]

4. pet pal

pet pal Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    that sounds great! thank you:)

5. MyHappyHen

MyHappyHen Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Chula Vista
    I love the ideas here.
    My coup is on cement, not as a choice but because I already put in a huge cement patio and left my coup floor-less then I decided I couldn't live without chickens.

I just wanted to say hay is the best bedding, imo. I have tried many types of bedding even cedar chips.
    Hay is cheap, easy to clean up and drys quickly after it is soiled.
    It seems to actually prevent cake in chicks.

We wrap our bail in a tarp and just remove slabs as needed.

I am not sure what would be best to protect the nice wood flooring past the bedding level.
    Please post what you decide to do and how it worked out.

I'd just give it a few coats of sealant and use hay as bedding.

6. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    A tarp, what a great idea! I have been worried about my barn floor, will have to give that a try.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I used a cheaper blue tarp for the Cardboard Corral in the garage. I was very pleased when it came time to disassemble the structure. Sooooo easy to clean up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be perfectly honest, the tarp idea is not mine. Somebody else on BYC mentioned using a tarp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by