What to use at crease at hinge?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by viktoriacl, Sep 5, 2010.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    [​IMG]
    I want to use the same roofing on the nest box but what do I do at the top hinged part. I have to cut it short or at an angle so I can open it but need to have something to keep the rain out and such. Any ideas? The coop and run are covered in that wavy plastic roofing.

2. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    It's been suggested to use the rubber from a bicycle inner tube.

3. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My nest boxes are on the outside like yours. We used garage door seal and just trimmed it to fit. It's a wide rubber stripping that we nailed along the crease.

[​IMG]

Nice coop!

4. chknluvr4evr

chknluvr4evr New Egg

Sep 3, 2010
    Northern California
    I used bicycle intertubes cut open and stapled down on a coop I made years ago, it worked great. If it is in direct sun it might need to be replaced sooner than later.

5. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I also use rubber like the inner tubes to cover the hinged part of nestbox. The 2nd picture on my BYC page shows it.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Extend the roof above it and the eaves will protect the nestboxes below.

7. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    beautiful coop

8. downhome

downhome Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    genesse county, MI
    I took a piece of garage door weather strip (the plastic trim with the rubber flap) I mounted above the access on the building so it ended up not being wide enough, but I had some roof rubber left, I use it as a liner on the coop floor makes clean up a breeze. so I cut a 5 inch wide strip and used the weather strip to secure it.the rubber forms a angle and the rubber on the strip is stiffer and helps keep it in place. make sure you caulk the joint. you can get some spray paint maybe and paint it to blend in with the roofing some, try "Fusion" by krylon.

9. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks everyone! I will pass on the ideas to my hubby and post again when he decides. Lots of great ideas!

10. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    If you can find some EPDM rubber roof scraps they are much heavier and last a lot longer than inner tube rubber...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by