what to use beside Valzaben or Safeguard?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Dec 26, 2016.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    acc to preliminary report from state lab via" Dont care "vets office. Mites and worms.
    but in the mean times besides Valzaben or Safeguard what else is out there ???
    > Hoping Hubby wont be too tired and feeling bad to give Valzaben(from months ago) tonight.
    last time used Safeguard like said . Was we supp to repeat THAT , it 10 days later?. I read so many diff opinions on here.dont know what to believe
    there is no way to keep them from those blasted catching worms again... No eggs any more and pink combs again and forever watery all over plac poo... It never ends.
    thanks all

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You could go with Ivermectin pour on, it works on both mites and worms, which is nice. Still does need to be repeated, but it's put on topically and not done orally so at least you won't be force feeding it to your birds.

And you're right, there's no surefire way to prevent them from getting it again. You can try to use some preventatives but a lot of people just worm every six months.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    heck its only been a month or two for the Safeguard. Did the "Eprinex" on their neck, back and wing skin several days ago..It harder than heck finding their skin with flashlights and headlights sitting on stoos in their coops.using a towel to hold down their wings while holding them on your lapand Hubby syringing it trying not to spill it....You would think we were killing them...the way they fight us...
    esp giving anything orally....
    Hubby is getting th Valbazen ready now I shoud have written down the dosage I remember > >.5 on the syringe......We are both tired and is dark.....and a thunderstorms on its way
    Like I said its a never ending problem and it gets old real fast........I still think its that "columstrum perfinges" thing too
    thanks

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Have you given the coop a good scrub out since your first round? If not they probably just had it introduced back to them from their environment right after the treatment finished. By a good cleaning I mean really emptying it all out and coating it down with some kind of anti-parasitic substance like Sevin dust. This is 100% necessary to really get rid of mites as they live in the coop as well as on the birds.

On the worm front, there's a new product out that I won a sample of, haven't used it yet but am going to give it a try now, that you just put in the water once a month. Supposedly it make the worms more susceptible to the chickens' natural defenses and so they are killed off by the chicken's system. You could give it a try and see what happens. It's called Zyfend A.

5. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    naw and if I do it again It will be "Gordens spray "from TSC>again.Unfort. I didnt wear a mask last time when I used a reg household sprayer. I dread spraying the new coop since it has three nice sliding Rv aluminum framed windows plus on crank outfrom an old topper....and a solid corr aluminum roof....I wish I could white wash it but its getting cold again....
    . I am not comfortable even using that....I would NOT allow SEVIN near this place.I have that expensive " Conserve SC" I bought as a recommendation via on this forum.....Just gotta fig out how to dose them in their favorite. food individually.
    I removed all the wood chips from the coops. Just rubber mats over the wooden floor.....Their roost isn't even touching the walls.....Its portable, self standing. Plus PDZ on aluminum trays and fiberglass trays on top of that.Fortunately the RV coop doesn't sit on the ground. Its on a boat trailer base....Unfortunately Hubby made the original coop barely off the ground. But whats great... with the roof being an aluminum truck topper. We plywood all the "walls" and painted them white.Did caulk some of the seams....
    I believe the mites they have "live" on them....I believe they got them from the leaves etc they scratch thru....and lay in out in their field.
    thanks for yalls input But I think I saw another one (wormer) mentioned thats expensive.

6. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    sorry repeated same post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by