What to use for a chicken run COVER?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blondebarnbabe, Nov 8, 2011.

1. blondebarnbabe

blondebarnbabe Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    New London, WI
    My Ameracauna rooster Steve loves to fly up over my six foot high pen in order to terrorize Bob, the handsome new SL Wyandotte cockerel (little does Steve know that Bob will soon outweigh him in the extreme). What do you all use specifically to cover your runs and prevent flying predators, hawklike and otherwise? Is there a mesh-like screen that you suggest? I'd like not to have to someday dub my Wyandotte guy "One-eyed Bob" due to Steve's jealousy.

2. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

What we've done...

[​IMG]

Gail

2 people like this.
  3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We first put welded wire as the roof, but I wanted the chickens to use the run all year round, so we put up corrugated steel roof. Hubby covered the sides with plastic, so the snow doesn't blow in.

Here's a photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  4. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    I use an opaque plastic roofing material called Tuftex and it has worked very well for the three years I have had it on the run.

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Here is what I did.
    Erik

[​IMG] Chain link fencing supported by 2" x 4" framework.

1 person likes this.
  6. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    You can use deer netting...it is almost see through from just few feet away but does the trick (fairly cheap too).

1 person likes this.
  7. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I have 2 10x10 chainlink dog kennels. Over both of them is heavy-duty woven (not welded, which is less strong) 2x2 fencing, which is wired on securely.

You can see the overlapping wire here.

[​IMG]

Over that, on one of the runs, is a pitched roof made of tarp (sold for 10x10 kennels).

[​IMG]

8. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Does the trick for hawks perhaps--but not for any other predators!

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Chain link runs are the way to go for max protection!! You guys [​IMG] of the chain link runs

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You can use just about anything if you only want it as a barrier for birds. Since you live in heavy snow country, you've got two choices in style. You have to use something with really large holes that won't collect snow or you have to build a support structure that will hold up to the snow load.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by