What to use for CRD?

bigokie37

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
nowata oklahoma
a friend has some signs of crd in his young birds.eyes are mating up with fluid coming out of them an breathing trouble.what is the best thing for him to use an what to use on the housing they have been in. will bleach kill the virus in there
?

How does he know it's CRD? If it is truly that, they will be carriers for the rest of their lives. Some use antibiotics, but usually, they have no idea what they're treating, bacterial or viral, and only succeed in producing resistant strains of bacteria. Viruses cannot be killed with antibiotics. And you cant bleach out what they are carrying in their bodies, even if you manage to sterilize the coop and pens.

Last edited:
he doesnt just the way their eyes are matted up an breathing trouble an has lost abunch.you squeeze the bags on their eyes an the fluid runs out .he had bought a batch of 40 10 week olds an they started dyeing an it moved in to the other 30.is there something else this could be?he has all thats left off by their selves.

I had CRD in my flock. Please tell your friend to invest in OXINE. It's a bit pricey. You can go to amazon.com. They are the cheapest. You don't need the activator. You can clean the coop with it. As well as all bowls for water and food. You can nebulize your entire flock. It works WONDERFULLY!!!!! Good Luck. Also change all hay or shavings one you treat them. If you go to www.shagbarkbantams.com you can read up on it. Please let me know how it goes......
wink.png

Quote:
I second this. If you have chickens long enough and are unfortunate enough to get a sick flock you will learn this.
Diagnosing a disease in a chicken is darn hard and people
just throw up thier hands and start up the antibiotics.

You can not treat a viral disease with antibiotics and usually,
not always though, you are dealing with a viral infection in
your flock. There are bacterial strains that cause respiratory
dieseases, no doubt, but the majority are viral.

I have come to this unpopular conclusion: you have to wait
and see if your bird is going to make it through the viral infection
and you HAVE to isolate the bird so as not to infect the others
Then you have to make the decision to reintroduce this bird back
into your flock. PROBLEM IS this bird will be a carrier and will in
a point of stress infect you flock.

So , do you cull at the onset of a disease, do you wait, do you treat with antibiotics ?? Really treating with antibiotics is a decision you need to make, but in the end the natural process will make your decision a mute factor anyhow.

I have a CLOSED FLOCK. meaning no one in, no one out.
I have some sort of respiratory disease, it is a small percentage
in fatalities, but ALL of the flock has been infected now.

So, yes, in extreme cases when I see a bird with really bad
SECONDARY infections that I know are from a bacteria I do
treat with antibiotics, but I do it to the letter. When you treat
to the letter it is a long and arduous process, not a quick fix.

I TOTALLY agree with rimshoes. Closed flock....no one in, no one out. I made that mistake very early on. I let some in and my flock went down hill!!! Big mistake but was new to chickens. NEVER again. My kids will always be carriers now. There no longer "sick" but they are carriers. Finding out what was wrong with them was a LONG annoying process!!! I called vets all over the place. Took samples. Asked at school, Tried antibiotics. They would help but not cure. They ONLY help was the OXINE. You do it for a week, every other day. It's work but....I love my babies. CRD is an air sac disease. That's another reason its sooo increadibly hard to treat

I haven't had a case in many years but when I've had it in the past I found it responded very well to treatment with a hatchet.
I don't believe in producing more sick chickens you see.

Back
Top Bottom