What to use for dust bath box??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RockyToggRanch, Nov 7, 2009.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    What do you think works best for a winter dust bath box inside the coop? What type of sand do you suggest?

My flock free ranges and they have their favorite sand holes all summer. Last year I scooped up some of that sand and put it in a box, but I never saw one use it.

2. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

For some reason a cat litter tray came to mind? This would be my first choice to use

4. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    will they go into a covered box to dust bathe? Straight DE or mixed with something?

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    My birds like to dust bathe in their feed [​IMG]

6. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    How do they do that? My feeder is a gravity thingy and I use crumbles. Never occured to me(or them I guess) to roll in it.

7. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  8. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    i have heard that pete moss mixed with mite powder (that way they dust themselves) works, have yet to try it myself, though now that my runs are soaked their dust holes are hooped, ill have to give them something soon.

9. ginaseven

ginaseven Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Missouri
    I use a cat litter box with play sand. I swear I have to fill it 2 times a week, they wait in line to get in it.

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I did one outside using twelve cinder blocks end-end in a horshoe shape, around a young 8" dia oak tree. I piled up dirt, compost (which chooks love) fine sand, and DE. Mixed well and they are in it every day exc when it rains. I have a 12 x 24 x 6" deep post office poly tray that I use indoors. They walk in it a lot but I never saw one in it yet to wallow. They do not ever poop in it tho. Could be that on long rainy spells they will start to use it. The outside one is raised and on a 5:1 grade, so it does dry very well. I chose a spot that is shady in hot weather and sunny in cool weather. They love the outside one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by