what to use for top of run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by annegw3, Feb 26, 2009.

1. annegw3

annegw3 New Egg

Feb 26, 2009
    northern WI
    I am newly looking into raising chickens. We have a shed we are turning into a coop, but my question lies in the run.

It would be more of a yard, 40 by 50, with the coop within it. I will have a 6 foot fence, with about a foot buried underground to prevent diggers. What is acceptable to use over the top? I wanted to just use the netting like for the game birds. Will that be sufficient?
    Thanks!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Are you looking to keep yours in, or others out? If you are worried about predators swooping in, you can use some heavy garden string, and just loop it across the top of the run. Or the game bird netting would work for both instances. You could even get some garden bird netting, the kind used to keep birds from eating your berries.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] yep, with a span that wide it will keep your cost down. My run is covered with steel roofing, however my coop is on the outside of the pen area.

~ bigzio

4. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

If you use wire or netting and want to add a little inexpensive shade try shade cloth like the greenhouses use. It work great and is durable.

5. annegw3

annegw3 New Egg

Feb 26, 2009
    northern WI
    I want to keep others out and mine in. BUT I also want to keep racoons out. (Being in northern WI in the woods, we have a few!)With a span that big, I couldn't economically wire the whole top. Thus, my problem.

Thanks for the suggestion on shade. That wasn't even in my thoughts as of yet.

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Tractor supply co. has an electric fence for about 20 bucks. I'm doing everything i can including a wire at bottom of run as well as top. Good Luck

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I use 2inch chicken wire (poultry netting) over the top of my runs, and it works great.

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm also in the woods, and the coons are only a problem after dark and only part of the year. My flock free ranges during the day and is locked into the coop/pen area after dark. If you decide to free range, then you can make the secure area smaller, saving money and labor.

~ bigzio

9. Chic's Chickens

Chic's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    Clear fiberglass roofing material...

10. Kajunbanty

Kajunbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Rolls of wildlife netting found in the garden center at Lowes. You can staple it across in rows then use twine to tie the sections together. So far it has worked great for me and low cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by