what to use in quail pen to reduce ammonia smell

Discussion in 'Quail' started by titika, Dec 27, 2013.

1. titika

titika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2013
    I have a large quail pen that is on the ground. They have an inside sheltered area 6x6 feet. I had sand in there originally but even with raking out once or twice a week it still has a strong ammonia smell. I tried pine shavings and that doesn't seem to help much. What else can I use to absorb the smell?

2. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    mix apple cider vinegar "with mother" in with their water. Not sure of the ratio to advise on as I just do the cap to the bottle full per quart.

3. titika

titika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2013
    Not sure what you mean by "with mother". How does putting that in the water help with the ammonia smell?

4. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thats what ive been told... I mix it in the water for my quail... makes them regular and helps clean out their system better.... the bottle says "with mother" on it...

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Apple cider vinegar with "the mother" in it, is unfiltered apple cider vinegar. It has all the stuff floating around in it. Regular ACV that you purchase off most grocery store shelves has filtered all this stuff out of it. This "stuff" has all the good qualities in it. This is were the trace minerals, most of the probiotics are and other good stuff that makes ACV so good to add to their water. You can use regular ACV if you are only looking to raise the PH of the birds body, should it be sick. But you won't get all the other added benefits you might get with the unfiltered stuff.

But to get back to why it helps with ammonia smells is these natural probiotics and other goodies in the ACV healthy up the intestinal tract and because their tract is working more effeciently, there is less smell to the poop. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    ^^^^^^^ thats what I meant to say

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

PDZ at TSC is a good ammonia neutralizer. I use it horse stalls and my kitty litter box.

8. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    What does pdz and tsc stand for.... what is it? Where to buy? Info??

9. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas

^^^^^^^

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

PDZ is the name of the product

TSC is Tractor Supply Company

Just ask a sales associate for help finding the PDZ.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by