1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to use on pecking wound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockoffour, Mar 18, 2013.

1. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    One of my hens (near the bottom of the pecking order) is consistently bullied by another member of the flock, and she is completely bald on the majority of her head, On occasions like today, when I found a small area that was bleeding, I cleaned it and then used neosporin, but I would prefer to have magic dust or something that works like corn starch availible to use just in case, but I was concnerned that if it was on her head and the other chicken pecked at her, that it would harm the other chicken if it consumed it.
    Is there anyhting that isn't harmful for the other chicken if consumed, but will also be effective for the wounds?
    Thanks

2. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I have used Blue-Kote successfully; I'm sure you need to keep it away from the eyes, but I've used it on a bloody comb with good results. It covers up the red that the others want to peck at.

3. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    Thanks, I'll have to check it out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by