What to use to fence the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noahsmom, Jan 21, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    We are doing most of our shopping from Tractor Supply for our chickens and my SO "Significant other" says he doesn't understand why we don't just use chicken wire. I said well chicken wire isn't as strong and I believe the holes are bigger then some of the other fencing. However, I have read welded wire, hardware cloth etc,.. and just a little confused about what would be best to use. We have a large run approx. 30'x15' (this hasn't been measured only an estimate by eye). I was thinking using welded wire since it is cheaper, using the hardware cloth about 3' up from the ground over the welded wire and then using hardware cloth or soem sort of chain netting for the top?

We live out in the country which means we have all sorts of wild animals coming in and out as well as dogs! Our barn is a good walk from the house with the run being at the rear of the barn so we can't see them when out in the run either. However, at night they will be locked up in their coop and let out in the mornings to have free access to their run all day. So, at least I have a little peace of mind knowing that most of the predators come out at night when they will be locked in their coop.

Is galvanized fencing ok? What is the maximum holes in the fencing we could use to still be safe? If anyone has bought from tractor supply what did you use? Pictures to go with it?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hardware cloth on the bottom 3" is a very good idea. The upper part would be better if it was chicken wire. Heavy-duty poultry netting makes a great top, I have found smaller peices on Ebay. If you are concerned about larger predators such as dogs, that may be able to go through chicken wire or harware cloth, you can put the wire or cloth over cattle panels to make the sides stronger.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    You could have a bigger run that would be cheaper and better than just a wire fence. Take a look at Premier's electrified poultry netting. The chickens will be safe from ground predators, and if they have places to hide, will be good to go as far as airborne threats go. I have a 100X100' area for my birds, that cost less than half of the estimate I read about somebody getting for a 12X20' wood framed, hardwareclothe covered run/cage.
    Jack

[​IMG]

4. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    This does look great and we do have the room to offer a bigger run for chickens (even though its hill) But, I still worry about predators from the air. I also have a 5year old and a Boston Terrier that would be tough to have something like this. I can't see behind the barn but we setting up a security system with camera and one will be watching over the run, the Great thing about it is that we can access this camera even from work to know everything is ok!

5. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Why would the top be better if it were chicken wire?

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    smaller sized holes in case you get a predator that is willing to climb some for dinner - weasels can get through openings larger than 1". Heavy netting over the top seems to keep the predators out even though it could probably be breached, I think they don't like the feeling of being unsupported and avoid walking out on it. I did get to see a hawk bounce off the netting as if it was a trampoline - my laugh for the day.

Electrified fence is great for a larger ranging area, but you still may want a secure run for times when a predator is in the area, sometimes migrating hawks will hang around for days if they think they can get a meal or two.

7. taylynnp

taylynnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Middle Tennessee

8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Not necessary. Animals usually check strange things out with their noses first. And when they do that to this fence, they get a 7000V jolt to the face. As they are running away, they are not thinking about anything but getting away.
    Jack

9. taylynnp

taylynnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    That's what I was thinking. Thank you!

10. BlackwaterBirds

BlackwaterBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Southwest Va
    I used Galvanized wire around my run. Hardware cloth buried, and chicken wire across the top. Chicken wire around the sides is just about useless. I deal with big predators and they go through it like spider web

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by