What to use to sanatize? and something to deworm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cgjsmith, Mar 20, 2007.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Hi all, I want to occasionally sanatize the waterer feeder and brooder. Whats the best and safest stuff to use on them> Also I was thinking of deworming but don't know what to use. should I deworm just occasionally or wait till I see signs? Thanks Crystal

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
  3. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I use bleach cause it's cheap. I use a mixture of 1 part bleach, 1 part white vinegar, & 8 parts water. I use this same mixture for disinfecting cutting boards in the kitchen, & cleaning bathrooms.

***NOTE*** Never add bleach to vinegar......mix the bleach with water first, then add the vinegar

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I use oxine too. Mixed in a certain strength, there is no harm in keeping it i the water all the time.

For a wormer, the most effective wormer I have found to treat ALL KINDS of worms is Valbazen. First State Vet sells it with directions for mixing it for chickens. The only problem I see with it is it doesnt go in the waterer, you have to give a dose orally to each bird. Which, I have alot of LOL. I just do one pen at a time. At least with this one though, I KNOW they are getting it.

6. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I just wormed with Valbazen too. After I did it I asked everyone here if they had tried it, and no one had. They said it sounded scary, but I had already done it, so there was no going back. I'm glad to know someone else does it too. The article I read about it said it would not upset the birds, and nothing happened to them, so I would use it again. Piperazine will leave a whole host of other worms behind, Valbazen will get rid of all of them including tape worms. I mixed 1 cc Valbazen to 8 cc water, then gave 2 cc down the throat. I don't suggest worming often, unless you know you have a problem.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    exactly, its alot of work to dose each bird individually, which is why alot of my friends won't use it, they want a water dewormer, but then, they aren't getting all the worms, just round.

I have had no ill effects in my birds with the Valbazen. I used to use Eprinex pour on on the neck, which I alternate them with the Valbazen, or Pigswig, so they dont get immune to one specific kind.
    I will probably deworm some birds this weekend

8. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    I am new here and will be getting my new chicks this Monday....SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! But anyway, I am reading a lot about dewormers. Am I going to definitely have lots of problems with worms? Yuck.

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. yotedog

yotedog New Egg

May 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by