1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What tomato varieties are you growing?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by oregonkat, Jun 20, 2018.

1. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I grow tomatoes in huge quantities because I can them for a year's worth of food for the family. I planted 170 plants this year all from my own collected seed. I have hybridized a Black Plum x Brandywine that I call Brandyplum which I have managed to grow true from seed for the past three years. Not long enough for me to 'brand' it but I love it. It has the potato leaf that the Brandywine has and produces a mahogany colored pleated fruit that has a fabulous flavor. I also grow some others from my saved seed but the Black Plum makes the best sauce/salsa in my humble opinion.
    What types do any of you gardeners grow, and why? I would love to know if any of you have done your own crosses too.

2. Trish1974

Trish1974 Crowing

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    I also can, but do not plant nearly as much as you do! I have 32 tomato plants. Most are of the paste/plum varieties. Of those I have Jersey Devil, San Marzano, Sausage, Ten Fingers of Naples and Opalka. I have a few slicer-type tomato plants; Marianne's Peace and Comstock. And a must-have is the Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes. I have two of those. They are as sweet as candy!

oregonkat likes this.
  3. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I have grown San Marzano and Opalka here. SM gets blossom end rot for me every time I try it. I think I have grown it three times in an attempt to beat the rot as it is the only tomato that gets it. I grow Roma (my own seed again) as a fill in instead, it seems to do better. I don't remember if Opalka did well for me. I like the sound of Ten Fingers of Naples, so I will look it up. The super sweets that I grow are the Sun Golds. I don't grow many as one doesn't need to and I do like them sun dried or dehydrated. Interestingly I tried to grow these from my own collected seed and ended up with mostly red cherry tomatoes that were irritatingly small.

Trish1974 likes this.
  4. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    I would love to try what you are doing, but haven't found the time for it. I am just getting back into gardening after moving from a high elevation location.
    This year I only have eight tomato plants. I planted Big Beef, Sun Gold, Sun Sugar, Roma, and Lemon Boy. I plan on saving the seeds from them for next year.

BlackHackle, BreanneRN and oregonkat like this.
  5. to BarbsGirls

to BarbsGirls Songster

May 16, 2018
    Indiana
    Just tomatillos for us this year. Sauces and salsa.

oregonkat likes this.
  6. LittleMissCountry

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    I love homemade salsa!! I am hoping to make some this year as well. I am also growing peppers. I have never grown tomatillos. Are they easy or difficult to grow?

BreanneRN and oregonkat like this.
  7. Trish1974

Trish1974 Crowing

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Not to get off topic, but speaking of salsa... has anyone successfully grown cilantro? It ALWAYS bolts on me. I even planted it in mostly shade the last time, and it still bolted!

8. to BarbsGirls

to BarbsGirls Songster

May 16, 2018
    Indiana
    Super easy!!!! Great flavor. We also grow a variety of peppers as well. I grow everything in food grade buckets! Adds color to my patio and no weeding!!!

oregonkat likes this.
  9. to BarbsGirls

to BarbsGirls Songster

May 16, 2018
    Indiana
    I have, I have to stay on top of it, meaning taking cuttings to use often. Need to plant a lot!

happyfrenchman and oregonkat like this.
  10. LittleMissCountry

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    I am growing in grow bags this year, since our soil is rocky and has a lot of clay. I have never had such growth with my tomato plants! I will have to try tomatillos.

Trux, BlackHackle, MROO and 3 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by