What took out ducks?

Popcorn Mcgee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Hello. My 10 year old son raises Cayuga ducks for 4-H. This year we hatched out his first ducklings from last year's fair ducks. They refuse to be put into the coop at night so we allow them to stay out with our guard goose. This has worked for over a year without any problems. Late two nights ago my husband noticed 4 of the younger ducks, now full grown, we're outside the fence. Since we've not had any problems he didn't think much of it. Sadly, in the morning all 4 are gone. There is no sign of anything. No blood, no dead bodies, no sections...nothing. We love in Northern Ohio. What sort of predator can take 4 ducks and leave behind no trace?

I saw that you've posted twice about this and have already received helpful responses, but I'm going to chime in, too. 🙂

When I was new to duck raising, my Muscovies refused to go in at night, flying too high for me to retrieve them. Even up high, they weren't safe - owls live in the woods and a barn owl can easily take a duck. I lost several until I clipped wings and herded them in at night. Every night.

My guess is that a pack of coyotes may have taken your ducks. I'm just a bit south of you and we have lots of coyotes here. Best wishes.

If you have a game camera, put it up because most likely the predator will be back since it apparently made some kills and then you will know what has been lurking and probably the culprit. I love my cameras. Good luck...

So sorry to hear that as my husband and myself just had the same thing happen ! We lost them all and then our goose! It is so cruel. My husband is hunting on our property a lot but has not come across the predator yet! He is determined to get it as the ducks and goose really loved him a lot. Hope you Will recover as well from this cruel predator?:drool
Hello. My 10 year old son raises Cayuga ducks for 4-H. This year we hatched out his first ducklings from last year's fair ducks. They refuse to be put into the coop at night so we allow them to stay out with our guard goose. This has worked for over a year without any problems. Late two nights ago my husband noticed 4 of the younger ducks, now full grown, we're outside the fence. Since we've not had any problems he didn't think much of it. Sadly, in the morning all 4 are gone. There is no sign of anything. No blood, no dead bodies, no sections...nothing. We love in Northern Ohio. What sort of predator can take 4 ducks and leave behind no trace?

Just an update. We put up a trail camera and found it's a fox. It's showing up at around 3 am, and not every night. What's the best way to get a fox? Sorry I posted the original twice, I didn't get a confirmation of posting the first one.

Back
Top Bottom