What treatmeant?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessiebrooke, Dec 7, 2017.

1. jessiebrooke

jessiebrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    My hen was attacked by a dog and so far i have only seen one hole and some scratches i dont know what i can do what treatments to help her at home shes weak and cant stand and is breathing heavy but it looks like the blood has stopped

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Generally after a dog attack it's best to put them somewhere quiet and warm and let them heal. They will be shocky for a few days to a week and often won't eat or drink for a few days. You should see some interest in water in a few days than feed after that. It can take a few weeks for them to get back to normal. Hopefully nothing is broken.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. jessiebrooke

Apr 28, 2017
    Thank you. Should i put anything on her cuts or leave them be?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally will use bluekote if the wounds aren't too deep, others use antibiotic cream without the pain reliever. I have also left them alone. Chickens are pretty good at healing, so do what makes you feel better, and use what is available. So far I have never seen any develop infections, not that dog attacks happen often here, just occasionally if I'm raising a new trouble making puppy. My current boxer was terrible for a while.

5. jessiebrooke

Apr 28, 2017
    Thank you im going to let her rest up for now but thank you so much for the help

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  6. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sorry to hear this. I agree with rest and warmth. Electrolytes if she’ll take them. I do think you should look her over thoroughly for wounds and clean them. Minimally, I would apply antibiotic ointment, blue kote or vetericyn if you have any of those. Good luck and please keep us posted.

oldhenlikesdogs and Wyorp Rock like this.
  7. jessiebrooke

Apr 28, 2017
    Thank you shes been moving around every now and again

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  8. jessiebrooke

Apr 28, 2017
    She has one deep puncture on her back and a scratch on her tail most of her feathers are gone but she seems to be doing better doesnt look like she was hurt too bad. We put antibiotic were she was hurt. It doesnt seem like anything is broken her legs look fine but she doesnt stand too long.

micstrachan likes this.
  9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Watch that puncture wound especially closely. Bacteria is often injected into tissue with these sorts of wounds. Signs of infection will be redness of the skin around the wound. If you see that, special steps need to be taken to fight the infection.

micstrachan and jessiebrooke like this.
  10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess is she's very sore from being manhandled by the dog, similar to whiplash.

micstrachan and jessiebrooke like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by