What treats are good/bad for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheChickenCameFirst, Aug 23, 2010.

1. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

I know most veggies and such are alright... but does anyone know if there are some that would be harmful? Some that should only be given certain ways?

What treats do your chickens really love?

When they are free ranging, are there things I should be sure they don't get into?

Thanks!

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm far from being an expert. But when their out free ranging they no what to eat & not eat. Watch em they pick something up several times before they eat it.

3. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I've heard that potato peels can be dangerous, as they cannot digest them.

My chickens LOVE BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), watermelon, cracked corn, and bread crusts!

4. dlecolst

dlecolst Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
  5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Cooked potato peels are fine. I cook all vegetable peelings including potato peelings with pinch of see salt and some amount of rice, just enough rice to absorb the water, then add fridge leftovers, they love it.

Generally speaking no excessive salty, spicy and greasy food, and your chicks will be fine and happy.

Carefull with sunflower seeds, a few is OK but excess might be harmful.

6. TheChickenCameFirst

Quote:I did check that out thanks [​IMG] I also wanted feedback on what people find their chickens like best [​IMG] Also, I wanted to know if there is anything in my yard they can get into that will harm them. I guess they are pretty smart about that though [​IMG]

7. TheChickenCameFirst

Quote:Cooked potato peels are fine. I cook all vegetable peelings including potato peelings with pinch of see salt and some amount of rice, just enough rice to absorb the water, then add fridge leftovers, they love it.

Generally speaking no excessive salty, spicy and greasy food, and your chicks will be fine and happy.

Carefull with sunflower seeds, a few is OK but excess might be harmful.

Thank you very much!! I will remember that!

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Don't tell my girls, but I turned down some peanut butter cookies for them the other day, cause I couldn't find nuts of any kind listed on the Treat Chart.

Does anyone feed nuts to their birds?

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:And they didn't kill you in your sleep!????? Nuts are fine, just not in huge quantities (due to fattiness).

10. Jen71

Jen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Australia
    Too many sunflower seeds can be harmful?

I haven't heard this before. How many is too many?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by