What "treats" can be fed without grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BeccaSmith, Jan 24, 2012.

1. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I have a hen that is in quarantine indoors. I'm wondering what "treats" I can give her without using grit? Treats I would like to feed are meal worms, cooked oatmeal, yogurt, etc.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yogurt and scrambled eggs would be fine . I think oatmeal would be ok. If she has been in quarantine for only a week or so she probably still has some grit in her crop. You could find a little sandy soil to ad to her feed if you don't feel like buying grit.

1 person likes this.
  3. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I've been giving her cooked oatmeal and some meal worms. I bought some Greek yogurt today for her. I'll go dig into our spare pile of roadmix so I can continue to give her live meal worms she goes crazy for them!

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Um, why can't you give her access to grit? Put a little dish of it in her container.

5. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I was more curious of what foods could be fed without it as I didn't have any in the house. We don't buy grit from the store since our hens free range. I went out to a pile of roadmix we have and scooped some up and brought it in. :)

6. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    Another question related to this...I've been feeding meal worms to my hen that is in quarantine and I did bring some grit in for her and have been sprinkling on top of the food that I give to her. Today I noticed in her poop what looked like undigested parts of the meal worm. I've never been able to identify in her poop what she has been eating before and meal worms are not new to her so I'm wondering if this is normal or her body just isn't breaking things down correctly or if she needs more grit or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by