What treats can I give me chicks/chickens/and ducks??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by askjcm2005, Jul 23, 2010.

1. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    The only thing I have tried is green leaf lettuce and meal worms. I would like to figure out what all I can feed them because when I dont have the $$ for meal worms I can just snag something out of our fridge...

Also, what can they NOT have?

I noticed that my chickens and ducklings do not like me! LOL Well maybe I should say they dont care for me. They are fine around me until they realize I want to pet or hold them then all but 1 puts up a fight.

I have only given them treats twice so maybe thats why they hate me. haha But now when I go in there and want to hold 1 I will put my hand out like I have treats and I can see all the chickens standing tall trying to see what is in my hand and they are interested and start to walk over so I am going to attempt to steal there hearts with treats (bribe them) [​IMG]

The oldest is about 4-5 months old and she if friendly, the rest are under 3 months old so I am hoping there is still hope they end up liking me. The ducks have been the hardest, the despise me but are best friends with my 2 silkies that I raised them with in the same box for 2 weeks...

2. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    Try black oiled sunflower seeds (boss). Mine love it and it does not cost much at all. Even the most timid chickens jump up into my lap begging for some more! Don't give them potato peelings. Have fun

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I am not sure about the ducks....but for the chickens..
    any left overs you may have from salads are great!

other things they CAN have

1.)yogert
    2.)smashed boiled egg (w/o the shell)
    3.)scrambled eggs
    4.)quick oats
    5.)watermelon
    And loooots more!

Things they CAN NOT have:

1.)potato peelings - They cannot digest them
    2.)Avacado
    3.)chocolate

also always remember to provide grit for them!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
  5. askjcm2005

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks for the link I will check that out!! And I will have to get some of this BOSS I have read about that quite a few times on here now...

6. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
  7. snowflake1177

snowflake1177 New Egg

Jul 23, 2010
    Western Colorado
    my chickens love hot dogs. I used to send my 4 yr old out with a hot dog and they run up and take bites out of the hot dog. my chickens come running when they see people.

8. askjcm2005

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Thanks guys!! My chickens/ducks were very spoiled this weekend thanks to me trying all sorts of different things out! LOL:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by