What treats can I give my hen and her chicks ??? First time owner !!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Nov 13, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    What kind of treats can I give my hen and her 2 week old chicks ? The hen has been a free ranged until she hatched her babies. Really free !! Her and our rooster just roamed our land and would roosts in the trees by the house. When she was nesting with her chicks we caught her and the babies and have them in a small pen by my back porch. I have fallen in love with them. She is a good little momma. I want to give them some treats but I don't want to give them something that will hurt them.
    I bought some green seedless grapes . Can I cut those up and give to them ? I need some ideas on treats. I want these to be pet chickens that will come up when I go outside. i HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE . We are in the process of building a coop and pen. When they get bigger we will put them in there and after a while we will let them free range and close them up at night.
    NEED SUGGESTIONS ON TREATS !!
    A neighbors dog got our rooster last week and we were so sad. We won't ever have another one like him. He roosted on our dog pen every night. The dog was his coompanion for about 2 months until we got him a hen to roam with him. He was a beautiful RI red. Will be missed !

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Cut up grapes are a great idea ( or any soft fruit in small pieces and in small quantity). You want to stick to softer treats until they have a bit of grit in their diet. They will take a little time to figure out if thy like certain treats, but it is a great way to make friends with chickens.

Here is a chart of treats for other ideas: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Sorry
    to hear about your poor rooster.

3. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    wild bird seed, oat meal(raw or cooked),cereal, cooked white rice, lettuce, fruit, cooked eggs. Make sure they have a bit of grit and you are good.

4. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Thank you for the advice. I cut up a few grapes and they ate a little. I had pasta for supper and fed them a couple of strands of spaghetti and they went crazy ! Love to watch them.

What is grit ??? I am feeding them the chick starter. Is there something else I need to have for them ?

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Cooked rice, meal worms, cottage cheese. they LOVE it!

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Scrambled eggs, mozzerella cheese and canned sweet corn (no sugar or salt added) are the favorites around here. My chicks will fly to me from across the coop ( 5+ feet) to get to these treats.

7. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    grit is like coarse sand... they eat it and it helps grind their food. you can buy granit(the best kind) grit from ANY feed store. If you dont have one close just get masons sand from the hardware store. and the starter mash is great. If that was all you were feeding you wouldnt need grit.

8. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I cut the tips of broccoli flowers off 'cos they're tiny and then mix that with a little kefir - they will go crazy for that and is so good for them... slightly squishy raspberries are a big hit as I found today.

9. flyjam1979

flyjam1979 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    i have been giving mine grit for pet birds, i dont have very many chicks and it seemed fine grain enough..any thoughts

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Finely shredded cheese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by