what treats can i give my pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 12304, Jun 30, 2011.

1. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    i want to give my chickens some treats but i dont know what human food is ok to give them as treats

so far they have seemed to like to peck at oats and lettuce does anyone have any ideas for chicken treats

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  3. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    thanks for the link my chicks love all the treats i am giving them

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Also try giving them some dandelion leaves. Mine go CRAZY over them! [​IMG]

5. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    mine are slow on the up take but are finally getting the hang of yogurt, with lots of oatmeal mixed in. At first they wouldn't go near the yogurt but after 4 days, they're really starting to enjoy it. it sometimes takes time... I've tried banana's, blueberries, strawberries, and apples to no avail... will go back to them later and see if they like them more as they get older

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

That chart says to never give them cracked corn (listed there as scratch) in hot weather. Does anyone give it in the summer? Next time dh makes cattle feed he was going to save out some of the cracked corn for us to toss in as treats. Under corn it says raw and doesn't mention not in hot weather so isn't that about the same as giving cracked corn?

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:The reason why you shouldn't give chickens cracked corn in hot weather is because it raises their body tempature. However, it is good for them in the winter when it is cold.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Quote:The reason why you shouldn't give chickens cracked corn in hot weather is because it raises their body tempature. However, it is good for them in the winter when it is cold.

But in one place it says corn (raw) and nothing about not giving it in hot weather and in the other place it says don't give cracked in the summer. What's the difference between corn and cracked corn? I just did a quick search and some say it's a myth but I haven't found anything 'official' on that one way or the other.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by