What {{{TREATS}}} do you feed you chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ravenxxx, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Ravenxxx

Ravenxxx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    England
    What treats do you feed your chickens and how often?

I have 6 girls all egg layers.

I have given them crickets which they love and heard about scambleing eggs for them, shells and all but havent tried this yet.

So would love to hear what your chickens love! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

So your chicks are older? If they are laying, then the egg with shells are fine. Just make sure you crush them pretty good. If they are not laying yet, then just the egg, no shell. My "adult" chickens ( 1 yr old) are like little piggies. They will eat anything...grapes, mellon, eggs, cornbread...pretty much anything.

3. Ravenxxx

Ravenxxx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2007
    England
    They dont seem to keen on the scrambled eggs this moring, but loving a few flys its attracting!!!

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Try hard boiled....for some reason, they like them better. Chickens will eat almost anything....fruits..( not citrus tho, and I read another thread on here they dont like bananas) veggies....( almost any kind) I just go through the fridge, once a week to clean it out. If I think they will eat it, I throw itin the yard. What they dont eat.....something else will, but I dont throw it in thier pen....only when I free range them.

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My chickens are over a year old. They love everything . One of their favorites is bananas we chop them up skins and all. They are also very partial to wheat bread. We can't let them free range so we cut branches and give them lots of that. They love scrub oaks and other weeds around the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by