What treats do you give your chicks???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by xxleandraxx, Jul 13, 2010.

1. xxleandraxx

xxleandraxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Just wondering really so i know what i can give my chickens......i heard citrus fruits are nt the best thing..i think there allowed but not alot???

What food/treats do you feed yours ??

x

2. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Cracked corn. They love it you can get it at pretty much and feed store

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Black oil sunflower seed! (Which you can buy at most feed stores, walmart, and petstore in the wildbird section) It's MUCH healthier for chickens than cracked corn and scratch, since those are only about 8%-10% protein, and is very fattening. Black oil sunflower seed (BOSS for short) is around 16% protein or higher, and due to the oil content makes the feathers of your chickens very shiny and soft. Mine look like they were brushed with oil when they sun hits them.

4. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    They will go crazy for mealworms and fresh sweet corn.

You can even breed ur own mealworms.

5. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    blueberries, yogurt. cantilp guts. balogna yes balonga. [​IMG]

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

We sat and watched Chickie TV the other evening...DH brought the popcorn and our girls went wild chasing it all over the run. [​IMG] No salt or butter/oil, after all they must watch their waists! (Does a chicken even have a waist?) [​IMG]

Today we had watermelon for breakfast so the chickens got to clean up the rind. Every morning I pull weeds and thin plants in my garden for them. Today they got sticker grass and various basils...the other day they got chocolate mint...smelled wonderful in the run!

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    In moderation---They go nuts for leftover pasta and it's fun to watch them chase each other especially with the long noodles.

8. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Citrus is okay in moderations, but the sugar content is so high. My flock enjoys snacking on banana's, papaya's, tomato's and crushed garlic. The tomato's cleanses out their systems and keeps them healthy, while the garlic works to keep fleas off of them. I usually offer that in the spring and summer. During the colder months, I treat them to yogurt and cooked oatmeal and boy are they messy with it, but really enjoy it! I also raise banana trees, after harvesting the fruits, I cut the tree up into smaller stumps and they spend days pecking away it til there is nothing left. I also give them banana leaves on a weekly basis, along with heads of cabbage and lettuce. At times, I will have an over abundance of eggs, or find a hidden nest........ I boil up the eggs and chop them up finely, along with the eggshells as an added treat. The egg shells are good for keeping their egg shells strong during laying, just make sure that they are crushed well so that the chicken doesnt identify it as "egg" or they will start eating their eggs. I havent had that problem, but have heard that it can become a problem. Popcorn and noodles are fun to watch them eat, however, they have no nutritional value and should also be given in moderations.

9. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Chicks,chickens turks all love lettuce. It hydrates em and it's cheap too.

[​IMG]

10. Pat Doll

Pat Doll Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    I only have 2 hens - but - they love most anything - I think they'd dance for mealworms. Watermelon rinds is a great favorite, I give it to them cold when it's so hot, seems to cool them off.
    raw squash, seeds from cantalope, bread, fried potatoes, tomatoes, etc. Like I said, they eat most anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by