What Tricks Do You Use To Help Your House Run Smoothly (or smoother)?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by serendipity22, Mar 29, 2009.

1. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I'm looking for advice or pointers that folks use to help their households run as smoothly as they can manage.

Do you have calendars with menus?
    Pick out kids clothes once a week?
    Make chore lists for everyone?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

(edited because I can't seem to spell)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    No just rules..

1. I am in charge
    2. Do as I tell you
    3. Do it when I tell you
    4. No back talk just do it
    5. If you have questions see #1

hehehehehe

House runs smoothly.

3. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    well, YEA! That's a given!!

If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    No seriously...I have a a calendar with everyone's schedules on it...if it is not on the calendar it does not happen. That stopped all the nonsense of at 10 pm "Oh Mom I have to do....tomorrow or I need .... tomorrow"

I have a weekly menu thing and also shopping list. if they do not put it on the list when they use the last of it...they do not get it.

there are chore lists when needed but everyone has that down pretty well.

5. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Stay in school
    Stay out of trouble
    Stay drug free

My kids never had a chore list. They helped because they wanted to. When they didn't want to, no pressure. They stayed..all of the above. My youngest is in college. I am not a grandmother. Never had a trial involving a child.

I had a list of what I wanted done. They chose what they did. They didn't ask for any favors from us unless they'd done their share.

House was chaotic, to say the least. Enjoy it! You'll miss it!

6. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    At one time we had a menu for 3 months in advance and a schedule with chores for a daily, weekly, monthly basis. Then we got chickens.................... nothing has been the same since.

As of tomorrow, all goes back to the norm.

I am currently rewriting the schedule to include chicken care into the daily chores as well as the large garden we are planting.

I have found a menu helps with the grocery shopping as well as the "what's for dinner" issue, as well as the breakfast, lunch, snack questions.
    A chore list helps with who is responsible for different aspects of our home life.

These "lists" have greatly assisted our special needs child, as a list in the bathroom does for daily care.

And yes, "if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy"

And always try to keep a smile, because in such a short time, the little handprints on the walls and windows will soon be missed.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Our kids are 19, 18 and 19, so. During the week I cook, and they clean up and there is hell to pay if it isn't done. Like I will cook enough for me and Ken and then them figure it out for themselves. Weekends I do OUR laundry, clean the room, and tell the kids what house work needs to get done. I usually bake alot on the weekends, so I clean the kitchen after myself.

They know they are getting a free ride and if they want shampoo they better keep up this place. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. serendipity22

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Any other great tips from such great folks on BYC?

9. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

These are things my mom did.

If your laundry isn't in the bin, it's not getting done! No, "special" wash will be done just for your super cool cartoon pjs.

If you wait until the last minute to ask for something, then answer is an automatic no. Example "my friends want to go see a movie, it starts in 30 minutes, can I go? They're in the car waiting!!" NO.

Bonus treats for doing chores (and anything not "fun") with a positive attitude. Not just getting it done, but being CHEERFUL about it.

My mom is great, and I'm happy she raised me the way she did. [​IMG]

10. MNchick

MNchick New Egg

Sep 27, 2008
    All the ideas for lists and calendars are great - here's the one thing different I used that worked and helped a lot.
    Use a regular spiral note book and place by the phone - Kitchen is best- Then use it for messages to one another, phone numbers when someone calls, reminder to do a specific task or new chore. One of the great things about it is that you can go back through it to check on messages etc. I recommend you try it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by