What type Maran are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sodak, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sodak

sodak In the Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    I hatched out 6 eggs I bought thru craigs list and recieved a number of Marans of which no two really look alike. Can you tell by looking if these are of one type Maran and what type are they? Some have very feathery feet and others none. Can you tell the roosters of this breed by the size of the comb? Is feathery feet a wanted trait?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Looks like blue coppers & cuckoos. The blue coppers are probably the french standard- hence the feathery legs. Nice![​IMG]

3. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The last blue copper marans picture is probably a little roo - -
    The extra copper color on the back is the clue.

The really light blue copper marans ( in the second Picture) is also looking like a roo - - -

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Yep...what Happy said, Blue Coppers. How many blues do you have total? How old are they? By the last 3 photos, I see 2 cockerels and 1 pullet, assuming that the bird in the last photo is the same bird in the 2nd photo posted on the left. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. sodak

sodak In the Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    Their are 4 of the 5 we have in those pictures. Here is the last.
    [​IMG]

This one looks just like a big morning dove. Why do some have feathery feet?

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Well then you have 3 roos and 2 pullets. The last pullet photo'd looks like a nice representation of the breed. Some have feathered shanks and some don't because at some point the English version (clean shanks) had been crossed with the French version (feather shanked). I don't know the specs. but I believe at one point the French's Marans population was almost wiped out due to the War and the English version was brought in to help repopulate. It is a trait that can be easily bred out or back in to the birds with a little time and patience. Are you planning on breeding these birds or do you just have them for egg layers?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by