What type Maran are these?

sodak

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 29, 2009
I hatched out 6 eggs I bought thru craigs list and recieved a number of Marans of which no two really look alike. Can you tell by looking if these are of one type Maran and what type are they? Some have very feathery feet and others none. Can you tell the roosters of this breed by the size of the comb? Is feathery feet a wanted trait?
42128_chicken_pics_006.jpg

42128_chicken_pics_008.jpg

42128_chicken_pics_003.jpg

42128_chicken_pics_004.jpg

The last blue copper marans picture is probably a little roo - -
The extra copper color on the back is the clue.

The really light blue copper marans ( in the second Picture) is also looking like a roo - - -

Last edited:
Yep...what Happy said, Blue Coppers. How many blues do you have total? How old are they? By the last 3 photos, I see 2 cockerels and 1 pullet, assuming that the bird in the last photo is the same bird in the 2nd photo posted on the left.
smile.png

Last edited:
Their are 4 of the 5 we have in those pictures. Here is the last.
42128_chicken_pics_002.jpg

This one looks just like a big morning dove. Why do some have feathery feet?

Well then you have 3 roos and 2 pullets. The last pullet photo'd looks like a nice representation of the breed. Some have feathered shanks and some don't because at some point the English version (clean shanks) had been crossed with the French version (feather shanked). I don't know the specs. but I believe at one point the French's Marans population was almost wiped out due to the War and the English version was brought in to help repopulate. It is a trait that can be easily bred out or back in to the birds with a little time and patience. Are you planning on breeding these birds or do you just have them for egg layers?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom