What type of americauna is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by missychicky, Jul 15, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    This is my americana amber. I know she's an americauna but what kind i'm not sure. Any Ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    She is an EE (Easter Egger)

The hatcherys sell them as the real thing but they are not. They are usually a mix.

She is pretty....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    looks like a EE and it is a hen

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She is a hatchery quality Ameraucana. In other words, she is an Easter Egger hen. There are some threads on BYC that will help explain the difference for you.

5. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    Well she lays green eggs instead of blue... Doesn't that mean she isn't a easter egger?

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No. Ameracaunas lay BLUE eggs. Easter Eggers lay green, brown, white, olive, etc.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    EE's can lay any color egg, green, blue, white, brown, and they can have any colored legs as well. Ameraucana's you must get from an actual breeder. Hatcheries sell Easter Eggers misnamed Ameraucana's. She is pretty looks like my EE Munk [​IMG]

8. missychicky

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    So she's not a mix? Could I show her? And is an easter egger an actual breed? What makes a chickens an easter egger? I'm really confused now, could you post some pictures of americanas, easter eggers, and araucanas so I know the diffrence? Thanks.

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:LOL you sound just like I did when I got my Easter Egger. [​IMG] Easter Eggers are 100% mutt chickens. No offensive of course, they are wonderful, but they are bred specifically for the ability to lay ANY color egg. Usually the hope is for a green or blue egg. Easter Eggers do not have breed standards like most breeds. They can look any way, have muffs on cheeks, or not. Have any color legs. Have essentially ANY kind of comb and color. I would suggest going to the Breeds and Showing thread, there are a few threads specific to Easter Eggers, Ameraucana's, and Araucana's. They have pictures and discussions on the certain breeds.

10. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    And unfortunately, as I just saw in my county fair - you can show her if you want. My neighbor showed her "Ameraucana" and took a blue ribbon. Next day, a green egg is sitting in the cage with her at the poultry barn, clear confirmation that she's a pretty little EE, not an Ameraucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by