what type of bantam breed is this??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sierra259, Oct 1, 2013.

1. sierra259

sierra259 New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    houston texas
    Can anyone help my out??[​IMG] I'm trying to see what type of baby bantam breed this is any help is appreciated thank you

2. Incukahlan

Incukahlan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    It looks similar to Partridge, or Silver Penciled Cochin Bantams to me. The feathered feet narrow it down significantly. It's not a Brahma, and it doesn't resemble any d'Uccle varieties, so that leaves Cochin. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]
    Partridge Cochin

[​IMG]
    Penciled Cochin

Where did you get it from? That can help as well. Do you just have the one?

3. sierra259

sierra259 New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    houston texas
    Yes I only have one and I got this little girl from a feed store so does this breed that you mention grow up to be as big as regular chickens because they are really small lol

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You can find out what breeds the hatchery offers; call them, that will narrow the possible breed list hugely. If it's still not clear, watch her (?) grow and figure it out later. Hope you got more than one chick, they need company! Mary

5. Incukahlan

Incukahlan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are standard(regular sized) Cochins, and Bantam(mini) Cochins. It's hard to tell from a picture if it is a Bantam chick or Standard chick. If you've never had chicks before they all seem small, lol. It definitely is some type of Cochin though. Probably one of the ones that I listed above. Whether or not it is a bantam or standard though is up in the air. Go back to your feed store, or call them and ask where they got that shipment from(which Hatchery) You can then visit that hatchery's website and see which types of Cochins they offer. If you still have your receipt the feed store should be able to tell you what type of chicks they had in stock on that date if you are persistent enough. Lol. If anything time will tell for sure. By about 5-8 weeks old we will be able to narrow it down to which breed/variety it is, as their colors change as they get older, which makes the identifying process much easier. Hope this helps! Keep us updated! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by