What type of Bantam is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whambam, Jul 24, 2013.

1. whambam

whambam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    I'm thinking Pekin/cochin? Is there anything else she would be (clearly a bantam though). What do you call her color other than black, since she isn't completely solid.

I don't yet have a full body photo, I can try to get that tomorrow. For now I just have the one pick of her face & comb. She's all black aside from some lighter color around her neck (you can see in the photo). I'm a noob to chickens and don't know all the fancy terminology yet. And yes, feathery little legs. I can't believe how light she is!

I just picked her up today. Someone's chickens didn't like her and all I was told is she is a young hen, black bantam. Sweet as can be. It's cute cause all my young hens (11 weeks) all "nested" down in the straw closest to her isolated cage. I *hope* that means they will play nice, as I know introducing just one is less than ideal. If they had more I would have grabbed them too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Indeed, some full-body pictures could be handy. :) Could also (rare) be brahma, but I'd guess she's black Cochin. Not really sure what's up with the neck color..can't tell if it's just spotty or laced, better pics might help.

She's adorable. Glad you got her away from the bullies.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. whambam

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    It looks laced. Since it's just the edges of the feather that's lighter. I will get better pics tomorrow. Thanks for the reply :)

4. She's a black Cochin w/ penciling on her neck. Often happens in hatchery Cochins. A side pic would help, but probably a hatchery Cochin

5. whambam

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    why does that happen? do you know?

I think you are right. At first googling I was under the impression that Pekins & Cochins were separate, but now that I read more it seems like people disagree on that.

Whatever she is, she's a beaut. I'd like to ad a couple more cochins so she has like-sized friends

6. Hatches is why. Lol. They don't care so much. I've gotten a 'black' Cochin from the hatchery with some penciling, as have other people.

At first I thought you meant a Pekin x Cochin cross which would mean its a Cochin OR a Pekin xD depending what you'd want to call it. But Pekin is just kinda the Chinese way to call it I guess (I think they call them Pekins there, or something, lol)

They really are! Good mums

7. whambam

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    Hmm I like it. Is it because there's a little more than just black in her DNA? Is that how the penciling sneaks in? I'm a need and I like to know why and how lol

8. Probably because the pencils run with the blacks, or they were breeding for better eggs, or maybe a white snuck in, I really don't know, sorry! LOL
    I can tell you how to sexlink though, xD

9. whambam

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    Please do !

10. Male birds have 2 copies of the Z allele (mammals use X and Y, birds use Z and W), females have Z and W.
    W has nothing attached to it, nothing, nada, it's completely useless. So what you do is you breed a recessive rooster to a dominant colored hen. So the rooster has to apply a Z, the recessive gene, and if its a boy, the girl will add a Z, but a dominant color attached to the Z, so all boys will look like the mom. The girls, however, will get the W gene, which has nothing attached, so it'd look like the dad.
    I have a link in my sig :) it also has a lot about genetics, but pigeon genetics xD
    So if you breed a gold rooster (like a RIR - don't ask why it's called gold and not red, I have no idea, LOL) to a silver hen (like a deleware), the males will be silver since silver is dominant, and the girls with be 'gold' (red)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Just ask yourself random Qs (like 'why do some birds have black ticks, and some are laced?') then google and go to experts. I'd love to know how lacing or ticking works.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by