What type of Bantam should my Silkie hatch the spring?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a Silkie, but she does not get along with the rest of the girls. They don't peck her, but she doesn't fit in. I plan to get her half a dozen eggs in April, or maybe March, and let her hatch them. I'll let her keep two or three of the pullets as companions for her new coop. What type of bantam should I do?. I don't desire to do Silkies again, too hard to tell males from females! Takes too long when I won't have the room to house them for long. I want a breed I can handle a lot, and that are very nice and friendly. I don't care too much about looks (Of course there is a limit to HOW far I will go!) and I do NOT care at all about their egg laying habits, I want them just as pets. I have other hens for the eggs.

I already have a coop for her to hatch her chicks in.

Bantam Breeds I am fond of:
    Cochin
    Old English
    Dutch
    Japanese

I may fall in love with a new breed, so please suggest it! I don't care if it is a true bantam.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Old English are wonderful, and they come in so many different colors. They're so popular as a breed, it shouldn't be hard to find hatching eggs.

We have a pair of Belgian d'Uccles and although they're sweet and goofy, I wouldn't recommend them. The pair we have tend to have foot problems, and they don't get along well with the rest of our flock of bantams (one is a bully to the lowest ranking hen and the other one gets bullied by the higher ranking hens).

3. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I used to have some Olde Engish/Dutch chickens (aka mutts) and they were so WONDERFUL! All of them are dead now, thanks to a hawk and raccoon (I swear they are in cahoots!) I lost the first two to a hawk, two were left, but one the hawk had droped. I named them Scooter and Suzie, hence my name. Suzie soon died, then Scooter was alone, so I got him a silkie girl friend, but in 2 nights a raccoon got 'em.

But, the rooster was soo nice! He loved to be held, and to perch on my hand, and he would flutter around following me... I'll do some Olde English research to learn more about the breed, then I can get eggs in the spring if I so disire!

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Old English are very popular, so it would be quite easy to find good eggs.

They're cute and come in a variety of colors.

My second choice from your list would be bantam cochins.

They're very sweet and cuddly.

[​IMG]

5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Also, I could maybe get a mixture of eggs, if I am buying locally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by