What type of bobwhite?

Halloweengirl13

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Valdosta Ga
I just got this little girl from a lady out of town she got her from her son in law who had been quail hunting . She had been shot, retrieved by a dog, tossed in a game bag and which they emptied and left in the car , they had assumed that all the quail had been dead until she was discovered hopping around in the car later.

That's one lucky Quail! She looks like a normal Bobwhite hen to me. As for her size, She's probably a true wild bobwhite...most 'wild" Bobs now have some "jumbo" or other captive variety bred into them. This is from hunters/landowners releasing captive bred flight conditioned quail on their land....usually for hunting purposes or to repopulate. The larger captive bred birds quickly establish themselves and mate with the smaller wild quail which can then produce a wide range of sizes.

Last year my brother shot 2 Tennessee Reds. He quickly sent me pictures because he was afraid they were an endangered species or something lol! I assured him they were FAR from endangered, and to have a word/warn with the landowner about releasing Reds...

Oww, poor her! But if she lives, she is one lucky quail. Does she have wounds from being shot?
Chris' explanation of her size sounds legit to me, perhaps along with her having to feed on what she could get in the wild as a chick, which might not have been as good as a captive diet.

All of the jumbo bobs are bred from northerns. Northern bobs arent very large but look just like a butler or a wisconsin where color is concerned. Live weight is usually in the 12 oz ballpark for a northern.

Back
Top Bottom