What type of chicken eating critter climbs??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by winekntrychicks, Mar 24, 2009.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I just put out 6week olds in a coop thats not all that secure. I see holes up top that need patching with hardware cloth; will do tonight. These chicks I hatched and they are my experimental group for free ranging but I have become attached. I may bring them inside the main coop tonight which is a fortress see my page. Just curious about chicken eating critters that climb. We have everything; fox, possum, feral cats, raccoons, hawks, coyote, Lord knows what else....thanks guys

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:there's some of your climbers right there...

3. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    do you have snakes at all? That could be another one. If an animal is hungry and they know there is food somewhere, they will do anything to get to it.

4. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    We have gartner (sp?) snakes, gopher snakes but the boxes in side are way up high. There is chicken wire inside to make dividers which the climbers could climb on. I don't know how a snake could get up that high. How do snakes get into trees? I thought that they could only climb half the length of their bodies........isn't nature amazing???

5. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    if it was me i would bring the chicks in tonight and secure their coop before you leave them unattended. then you won't be up all night worrying [​IMG]

6. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:Snakes can climb very high. I think they can only raise half their body right off the ground without climbing.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:I know they can climb trees pretty high. I was riding my horse in the wood once when a black snake dropped it's face down from a branch right next to my head. I hate snakes. They creep me out.

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    weasel, martin, mink, fisher cat all of those can climb too

9. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    Raccoons can climb almost anything. So can possums. Don't leave your babies out or you might not have any in the morning.

Raccoons and possums can also get through very small holes in poultry wire. They can bite through some types of wire. When they are motivated for food, they can do amazing things, and they LIKE chicken.

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I saw a black snake climb an almost slick pole. It went up side ways. The scales on it act like tiny fingers to hold on.
    As above almost any thing will climb if hungry. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by