What type of chicken feed ?

kubaduba1

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
Hello what is everyone feeding their chickens ? I have 12 that are 2 months old.. Should I avoid soy or corn or other ingredients ? What's a good brand name that's organic . Even though we all know what organic means lol

Has anyone used Kalmbach brand name ? I want to use scratch and peck for some reason thinking they're the best but it's super expensive. Any advice would be nice . They have a chicken tractor and can eat grass and what not throughout the day . I do notice they eat dirt a lot and fear that their crops will get clogged .
Thanks
Btw we just finished their first 40lb bag of nature's best organic feeds from Tractor supply

Attachments

• IMG_20230315_194913211.jpg
    IMG_20230315_194913211.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20230315_194916979.jpg
    IMG_20230315_194916979.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 9
I don't worry about trying to avoid soy or corn.

At that age they can eat chick starter, an all flock or flock raiser feed.

I don't try for organic here but would say to read the nutritional information on the label and choose one around 20% protein that fits your budget.

I do avoid ones that aren't a crumble or pellet. If the grains look like grains they tend to pick out the tasty bits and miss out on a balanced diet.

I don't worry about trying to avoid soy or corn.

At that age they can eat chick starter, an all flock or flock raiser feed.

I don't try for organic here but would say to read the nutritional information on the label and choose one around 20% protein that fits your budget.

I do avoid ones that aren't a crumble or pellet. If the grains look like grains they tend to pick out the tasty bits and miss out on a balanced diet.
There are so many different brand names it intimidating.
What brand names should I avoid ?

I would first check out your local area for all the small family run feed stores to see what they carry and their prices. They will be your source for local Mill feeds, which aren't necessarily "better" than national brands, but often the price will be drastically lower and freshness is usually very good. Not everyone has access to local feeds, but it's worth knowing your full range of options so you can get the best feed in your area for the best price. Some mills will sell direct to the public too, so it's worth googling to see if there are any nearby.

I would first check out your local area for all the small family run feed stores to see what they carry and their prices. They will be your source for local Mill feeds, which aren't necessarily "better" than national brands, but often the price will be drastically lower and freshness is usually very good. Not everyone has access to local feeds, but it's worth knowing your full range of options so you can get the best feed in your area for the best price. Some mills will sell direct to the public too, so it's worth googling to see if there are any nearby.
Yes I did check around . They only have lay and mash which is just corn .
Anyone in Tampa Florida know a good mill to checkout ?

Anyone in Tampa Florida know a good mill to checkout ?
Tampa town is pretty big. With the amount of driving it would take to find a mill or local place, I would just look at tractor supply or rural king. Maybe even ace hardware.

*Saying this on the likelihood that you have a typical backyard flock.

And to answer your original question, I use Purina flock raiser from hatch till they no longer eat.

Hello what is everyone feeding their chickens ? I have 12 that are 2 months old.. Should I avoid soy or corn or other ingredients ? What's a good brand name that's organic . Even though we all know what organic means lol

Has anyone used Kalmbach brand name ? I want to use scratch and peck for some reason thinking they're the best but it's super expensive. Any advice would be nice . They have a chicken tractor and can eat grass and what not throughout the day . I do notice they eat dirt a lot and fear that their crops will get clogged .
Thanks
Btw we just finished their first 40lb bag of nature's best organic feeds from Tractor supply
5 hens, 2yrs old from CT; we use
*Free Choice Natures Best Organic Chic starter from TSC
*daily amount (10%) of something healthy like veggies/fruit/greens/meat/scratch/yogurt /healthy raw leftovers/scrambled eggs in cold weather
* Free choice Oyster shells (available at all times in run and sprinkled outside the run)
*Free Choice Grit (available at all times in run and throughout the yard/driveway
* plenty of fresh water daily & vitamins added once every 3 months. Apple cider vinegar 6 times a year.
They free range daily on the side of a mountain so they get LOTS of bugs and greens as well. Laying well and healthy. I too would like to use Scratch and peck, but I got chickens to save money on eggs, its just not cost effective for me. I am trying to grow the things that help them thrive, like this year, adding Oregano and herbs around the coop. It may help to supplement the feed cost. Good luck to you! We learn as we go and figure out works best with our life styles.

Back
Top Bottom