What type of chicks to get

RIArmySGT

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
So I will be building my coop in a couple weeks, i am looking to get 3-4 chicks to start. All females, just looking for eggs and a cool out side pet my daughter will enjoy helping out with too. Being from Rhode Island i was considering RI Reds, anyone have pros/cons with them? Also if you are local to RI, MA or CT do you know where I might be able to buy them. Thanks everyone

Pros-
-Prolific Egg Layer
-Pretty
-Friendly
-Not Broody
-Easily Available
-Cheap

Cons-
-A Bit Skittish Unless Trained
-At many stores, so very often they are poorly treated as day olds. :(

I usually just get mine locally in southern NH (border of mass) at any local store that has them. Make sure to check the chick thoroughly for any flaws, because they can, like I said, be poorly treated. If you want them to be like a pet, make sure to pick them up and be friendly with them right away. Hope I helped!
big_smile.png

-Kyle

From CT - Tractor Supply always has a "red pullet" bin, which can be Rhode Island Red, Red Sexlink, and New Hampshire Red. TSC is cheaper than online places since you pay like $2 per chick, whereas online you pay more like $3, plus an extra fee if you want to guarantee a hen, PLUS shipping!

I got four Red Sexlinks, because that was what was available when I happened to go, but they are very similar to RIR's. Mine coming running over to see me whenever I go near their area, which is cute. However, if they think you have some sort of treat for them, they get super aggressive. They will totally ambush me, sometimes even jump up on my shoulders. Not in a mean way, but because they are so interested in what I may have for them. It's only because they are really comfortable with humans, but I don't know if that would scare your daughter - they're not small chickens. We also get WAY more eggs than we could ever use. We end up giving most of them away, but will start up a business this spring when the rest of our chickens start laying.

RIArmySGT congrats on deciding to get a a few hens for your daughter. Im glad we did for my kids and the adults too. RIRs are great layers, but even the hens can be somewhat aggressive. We have a friendly mix in our flock, not much aggression like my sister has. . Our Dutch Bantams are small, gentle, and great layers. Our Phoenix hens are the friendliest, but get broody, and lay small eggs less often tha our other girls. Our Ameraucana are gentle and the kids love collecting the blue eggs. But the overall best birds would be my Barred Hollands calm, gentle, and good layers. Good Luck

Your Barred Hollands, what size eggs do they lay, i would like to have something Lg/XL

Barred Holland's lay a white Med sized egg. Genetics is a funny thing. Seems that the chickens that have lots of personality and are friendly are not the most productive layers. And the most productive layers have less personality, are mean or too flighty. There are some good websites that list different breed traits. It pays to do homework beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom