What type of comb is this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ZooMummzy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I was wondering if someone could tell me what type of comb Quincy, my special needs banty has? She basically has no comb, lol and she is 3 1/2 months old.

I know it's not a pea comb because I have EE's with pea combs. It is a strawberry? Cushion? I can't be sure of her breed since I bought her at a feed store, but another member on BYC said she looked like her Blue Ameraucanas, She has black legs, not green legs (it's the lighting in the picture that makes her foot look green) so she's not an EE. Probalby a mutt because I highly doubt they'd put a pure bred in a straight run order.

Any help will be appreciated [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I'd say she is an EE, and that it is a pea comb. Straight run just means that the birds are unsexed, not necessarily mixed breeds. Hatcheries don't generally make a habit of sending mutts, as this would likely detract from further business from dissatisfied customers.

3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:I hope this comes across right, but are you sure it's a pea comb? It looks nothing like the pea combs on my other EE's. There is basically nothing there at all and even at 4 weeks, my other EE's had bumps on their pea combs. Hers is completely flat, not even squishy. I know the pictures don't show this well. I'm not agruing that she isn't an EE, because we really don't know, I was just going off Speckledhens guess as to her breed based on how she looks compared to her Bantams.

I should add....should I be worried if this is indeed a pea comb and it has no bumbs? I mean she's a special needs chicken...could she have a comb problem too???

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I agree, it's a pea comb, just a very small one. It's not unusual for them to not be very large.

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Ok so then I should worry? It is just such a strange comb, with no bumps or anything. I was worried something else was wrong with her [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with her comb-she just has a tiny ladylike one, LOL. She's a pretty girl!

7. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Lol thank you, I'll breathe easier now....and yes, she is quite the little lady...spoiled rotten!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by