What type of duck is this?

olive101

Hatching
May 29, 2016
A duck laid some eggs in our driveway but I can't figure out what breed she is. I live next to a lagoon near San Francisco.

can she fly? if so she might be a call duck if she cant she may be a swedish or dutch hookbill, the eggs look to me like a bluish tint so that kinda says mallard or mallard cross of some sort.

Looks like Swedish or mix to me, too. (Oh how I miss San Francisco!) Lived there for 20 years. Have fun watching the mama/eggs!

Yes she can fly! Thank you everyone for your responses! Can't wait for the babies to hatch :)

Yes, she has 6 eggs in the nest and sits on them for the entire day, sometimes she's gone during the night. She's been here for almost a week.

Update:
Unfortunately a few days ago, some racoons got to the eggs and killed 7, leaving only 1 egg. The mother stayed for about 2 more days with that one egg, but has been missing for the last 3 days. Pretty sure the egg is dead, it has a very small puncture and is cold. It was probably almost ready to hatch, it is fairly heavy and too dense to candle. It is a greenish yellow color and is extra dark near the bottom 1/3. Very sad :(

Back
Top Bottom